6Y9 Fly-In 2009

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
Just a very early reminder:
The 4th annual Six Yankee Niner Fly In will be Sept 4th-7th Laborday Weekend, the main day being Sat.Sept 5th .
It is now officially 2600 ft. The guys at MDOT/ Aeronautics will be helping me re layout the cones this spring.
An additional 300 ft will be worked on over the summer,more trees cut on both 10 and 28.
We're looking for ideas of what everybody would like to see improved ,changed, eliminated, etc.

It's already on my calendar, I'll be there! :yes:

Can you get the reporter back? She's worth a repeat. ;)

Otherwise, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun as 6Y9 this year. Can't think of anything that I'd ask/suggest to do differently. I'll be showing up with a tent, and hopefully some other folks to join in the fun.

We're planning on being back there again next year! We'll probably have to bring the RV back, though. I can't bare to break those kids hearts again. ;)

One request -- more of the perfect weather that we've had the past two years!

I'll try to think of a way to help get the pilots more involved with the community during the Saturday BBQ. I think most of us overdid it a bit on Friday night of this year, and weren't feeling very social on Saturday. I plan to not let that happen next year. ;) Even just going up and making some noise in the sky would be good. And tell Diz, that yes, I will plan on bringing some of those balsa wood airplanes if I can snag some from the DOT next spring.

See ya'll in September!

Ill plan on it. The thing I like about this fly in is that every year we go back, the runway gets longer!

Good ideas, Chris. I'd concur that we tended to wake up late and not feeling all that great after Friday night, and tended to keep to ourselves rather than interacting. It would be good if we could try to get some more organized things going. Doing discovery flights would be nice, although there are definite questions involving legalities and liability. I think you're right, Chris, we need to not overdo it on Friday night next year. ;)

I'll try to bring some more Lycoming posters and paraphernalia, should be doable.

I'll also think on some other things we could do to get the town more involved. The response certainly seemed overwhelmingly positive, but the more people we can get interested in GA out of this, all the better.

I'm planning on being there.

A couple of suggestions for next year.
1. Warn Hoppys so they can stock up on Crown
2. Cut off Mr 24 hat a bit earlier

I'm planning on being there.

A couple of suggestions for next year.
1. Warn Hoppys so they can stock up on Crown

Like chris and ted have said, I dont think that's going to be necessary this year. While we did have a good time Friday night, Saturday morning was brutal for most of us, and I would rather be alert and giving airplane rides, interacting with the locals, etc., instead of spending all day trying to get rid of a hangover.

Hey , great to hear everybody had a good time.
I know the people would really appreciate any pilot that would give rides.
Scott Trask gave quite a few Young Eagle's rides again this year in his Kolb,but the kids had to be 12 or older and it's not big enough for a parent to ride along
I know it would help also as this year I'm changing the ATV trail as I can't any longer have them cross the end of the field. We are adding 300ft where the trail cross's This may create some negative vibes in town,but it has to be done.
Tony , should we have Ted take the Red Coat Lady on her "first" ride.:rolleyes:
Chris if you could get balsa planes for the kids that would be great.
I'll order some good weather,but it is the U.P. and things start to change in Sept,we'll hope for the best.

I can't wait!

I put a story about 6Y9 into our EAA chapter's newsletter this month. Hoping to recruit a couple more people from here.

Did I mention I can't wait? :D

What Tony said is right. Friday was fun, but the all-day headache on Saturday was not. I think interacting with the locals and giving airplane rides would be better. Of course, if Chris brings the RV I'm going to want him to give me an airplane ride. :D

And I already gave Demon his "first" airplane ride, so did Tim. I think I'm good there. ;)

Oh, and I second what Kate said: I can't wait! :yes:

What a dummy I am. Anybody that wants to come up earlier in the summer is more than welcome. Just let me know so I can try and be there with the airport Limo:D
6Y9 opens May 15th but can be wet from all the snow melting,really the safest bet is after the 1st week in June.
Come on up, but ya still gotta show up on Labor Day:yes:

Can you get the reporter back? She's worth a repeat. ;)

I think Diz wants Ed to get hitched with any "worth a repeat" woman that shows up. ;)

I know the people would really appreciate any pilot that would give rides.

Brad, hopefully I will be within range and be able to make it this year. I have (and anyone else can get) not only the paperwork for Young Eagles rides, but also the Sporty's 172 cockpit posters to give to them afterwards. (What a GREAT idea on the part of both Sporty's and EAA - Those posters are gonna be hanging in those kids' rooms for years! :yes:)

Hopefully I'll have some money too. :redface:

Tony , should we have Ted take the Red Coat Lady on her "first" ride.:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Like chris and ted have said, I dont think that's going to be necessary this year. While we did have a good time Friday night, Saturday morning was brutal for most of us, and I would rather be alert and giving airplane rides, interacting with the locals, etc., instead of spending all day trying to get rid of a hangover.

Warn Hoppy's anyway - Then, drink 'em out of Crown on Saturday night instead. :yes: :D

Brad, hopefully I will be within range and be able to make it this year. I have (and anyone else can get) not only the paperwork for Young Eagles rides, but also the Sporty's 172 cockpit posters to give to them afterwards. (What a GREAT idea on the part of both Sporty's and EAA - Those posters are gonna be hanging in those kids' rooms for years! :yes:)

That's a great idea, Kent, that might be a good way to do it.

It would be good to get some more organized rides in, since I'm sure there were a lot more people who wanted them than asked.

Jay, you're very good with rides. Im sure your Zodiac will be a hit.

What I'm thinking would be neat for the CFIs of the group would be if we could bring the little log books and actually log the flight as their first lesson. Just a thought, don't know what people think of it.

This came up in chat the other night. How 'bout a flour bombing competition? I haven't done one of those in a long time, and they can be a whole ton of fun.

What I'm thinking would be neat for the CFIs of the group would be if we could bring the little log books and actually log the flight as their first lesson. Just a thought, don't know what people think of it.
Works for me...if I've got my CFI by then, I'll do it.

This came up in chat the other night. How 'bout a flour bombing competition? I haven't done one of those in a long time, and they can be a whole ton of fun.

I'll have to ride along in a high wing for that. I give about a 1% chance that I'll show up in something with high wings. But it sounds like a lot of fun!

Works for me...if I've got my CFI by then, I'll do it.

I'm figuring I will, too, provided whatever I fly in doesn't have restricting rules against doing so. The Archer and Mooney both have rules of no instruction for people who aren't on the insurance policy.

Great idea's guys.
We did a flour bomb drop a couple of years ago with the Michigan Air Tour.
Maybe we could tie the 24 Guy up in a chair out on the runway for a target:rofl:
The closest anybody got was 60 ft. from the target.
Another guy asked how he did after his drop, I told him he missed the target by quite a bit but he did knock a red squirrel out of a pine tree out in the woods. Everybody was cracking up on the radio after that.
Also need to figure out what breaks better than a lunch sack with a couple cups of flour. Those that we used didn't hardly break open.

First, how many decades ago was that? I mean, those bell bottoms! That hair!:yikes:

Second, we LIKE Liz, the reporter who did a story about the re-opening, right Jesse?:rofl:

First: per http://www.alexisparkinn.com/weird_aviation_videos.htm
Some added information about this video, sent in by a viewer:
"Just as added information, I remember the incident from my youth, and what I
do remember follows: It would have been sometime during the (mid?) 1970s, when a local television news reporter by the name of Richard Wyatt was preparing an item for the forthcoming Weston-super-mare airshow (Weston is in Somerset, UK). One of the attractions was to be a "flour bombing" exhibition, where the
Piper Cub was to drop bags of flower on a target somewhere on the airfield. It was thought to be a good idea if Richard was to become the target for the news report. The result was as per the video, Richard was taken to hospital, where the injuries were found to be not life threatening. The Piper Cub landed without incident and was found to have a small dent in the wing tip where it had hit Richard's Head."
Mid 70's could be right:

attachment.php

I'm on the left. 1974

Second: Now you know what NOT to do to a nice reporter.

If we do the flour bomb drop we'll set the altitude low limit at 500ft,I don't want to see anyone with a dent in their wing :nono:,or in their head:eek:.

Well, that's one disadvantage of the Zodiac's design: there's no way I can do the flour bomb drop. The canopy must not be opened in flight, and the little window on the pilot's side is way too small.

Ted could bring some of the Sporty's posters too. There is a whole box in the club room at the hanger that one of the member was trying to get rid of.

Well, that's one disadvantage of the Zodiac's design: there's no way I can do the flour bomb drop. The canopy must not be opened in flight, and the little window on the pilot's side is way too small.

Smaller than on a Cherokee? The Cherokee window is big enough.

Same for the RV. I bet we can rig something up where we tie the 'bomb' to the pant leg, and have a fancy knot tied around it. Have a 'release' string attached that is run around the wing and under the canopy skirt into the cockpit. Heck.. We might even be able to rig up some sort of 'bombs away' lever. :) The only problem with the RV is that it would be more of a strafing/torpedo run than a gentle bomb drop. :D

Ted could bring some of the Sporty's posters too. There is a whole box in the club room at the hanger that one of the member was trying to get rid of.

I can do that! Let's plan it for next year. Am I dragging you along this time?

Chris I's an experimental. you should be able to rig up some sort of bomb rack. For bonus points Matt Michael knows the guy who fixed up the norden bomb sight in the ames airport. Maybe you could use that :)

Chris I's an experimental. you should be able to rig up some sort of bomb rack. For bonus points Matt Michael knows the guy who fixed up the norden bomb sight in the ames airport. Maybe you could use that :)

THAT would be awesome. I'm not gonna be cutting any holes in the RV any time soon, but I think the 182RG Tony and I had up there last year has a camera hole in the baggage area. That would be a fun way to kill a weekend - trying to figure out how to work the Norden sight to win a flour bomb competition. :D

Run a string out the window and through the tie-down hook. Tie the bag to the string. Keep the string taught, and then cut it when you want to drop. You guys are overthinking this too much.

Seeing an RV with a bomb on the bottom would be hilarious, Chris, I think you ought to do it! :yes:

What about flying inverted? ;)

Run a string out the window and through the tie-down hook. Tie the bag to the string. Keep the string taught, and then cut it when you want to drop. You guys are overthinking this too much.

Oh come on, Ed. You don't think a flour bomb drop from 15,000' with a Norden sight would be newsworthy up there!?

Oh come on, Ed. You don't think a flour bomb drop from 15,000' with a Norden sight would be newsworthy up there!?

Flour arriving by car at the general store is newsworthy up there. Weren't we the #1 story that night on the 11 o'clock news?

5274S does not have a belly hole. landing gear in the way.

Back