6Y9 Arrival 2015

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
We're not quite there yet, but will depart Portage (WI) via ground vehicle within the hour. 4.5 hrs later...

Wx between northern Illinois and Southern WIsvonsin would have precluded our launching this AM VFR even if the plane were ready.

Things here - across the LP - are schmutzier than anticipated. I was expecting to maybe dodge some showers, not be socked in.

Bob launched in the Luscombe, is now holed up in Pinconning.

I will be launching within the hour. Will try to pick my way up the east side of the state. my friends Bob and Deirdre should be in St Ignace now. they are in a red Luscombe

Our plane sits ready to go in the hangar, we are planning to leave at around 10 am tomorrow morning, when the haze has gone away. We should be at 6Y9 at around 3 pm.

Looking at the weather forecast, we are however a little bit worried about the conditions...

Oliver, the food will probably be gone by 3pm. Are you sure it will take you 5 hrs? I have something for you, too.

Departing about 10:00 AM expected Arrival 12:15 (day Trip) BC + SL.

[...] Are you sure it will take you 5 hrs? I have something for you, too.

Looking at the TAF for the Detroit area, we expect to get out between 10 and 11. We'll be zipping along at a mind boggling 95 KTAS and expect a light headwind of around 5 - 10 kts. This translates to a flight time of a 4 h - 4:15h, flying over Beaver Island. As we will also have to refuel along the way, I am afraid that 3 pm is even a bit optimistic. :rolleyes: :eek:

I can only imagine what you have for me, but I will slaughter our piggybank as a precautionary measure. :D
By the way: At 135 kts, the cruising speed of a 182, the flight would only take 2:40h and we would, depending on the model, even have enough fuel for the flight back home left in the tanks.... :wink2:

Last edited:
Martina and I are out. :(
Most of the route is still IFR or MVFR and we are not sufficiently convinced that it will become much better within the next one or two hours... :no:

If weather permits, we'll fly tomorrow to North Fox Island, though. :)

Have fun tonight, we're looking forward to seeing you at the next gathering.

Oliver

Sorry to hear that; you're being missed.

Thank you for the kind words. We were looking forward to the fly in and are really disappointed - particularly since the weather turned out to be good later today.

The weather looks good for tomorrow. We should be on North Fox Island between 1 and 2 pm and are planning to stay for around 2 hours. It would be great if some PoAers would drop by on the way home from 6Y9... :yes:

We just departed 1D2, ETA North Fox Island 6Y3 2 pm.

Back home on the ground in GRR

Back at Ray. Where I'm still hot and sticky, and not in a good way.

Missed you, Tim!

Man, I missed me too...

I was bumming that I couldn't attend. I wanted to badly but, unfortunately, can't make all of 'em.

It's my favorite fly-in. Gaston's is a hoot but 6y9 is tops. Diz, Brad and the asshat do such a wonderful job of putting it together.

Would have liked to make it but tax deadlines 9/15 and 10/15. So no Gaston's either.

Back