6Y9 2011 Flying Season open

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
Last weekend I opened the field at 6Y9. Cones are out windsock up ,not much damage from winter time snowmobiles but a few ruts from early spring 4 wheeler.
Field was wet but drying out fast (snow only left a couple of weeks ago)
Should be in good shape by Memorial weekend. I will be rolling the field soon.
Other than that no other changes ,still 2,600 ft. total length, displaced threshold of 400 ft. on each end.
Bill's Grill is shut down so walk to food is out.
See you up there.

Congrats on the opening. Here's wishing 6Y9er a great season, hopefully a dryer one than we have had.

Is that a seasonal or permanent closing?

That was my question. Sure hope its only seasonal!!

Is that a seasonal or permanent closing?

Well, Scott looks to be permanent until the next owner tries it, I hear some of the reasons for closing were self inflicted. I won't spread the rumors though, it is a tough place to make a living.

Well, Scott looks to be permanent until the next owner tries it, I hear some of the reasons for closing were self inflicted. I won't spread the rumors though, it is a tough place to make a living.
That is too bad. Seems like someone should be able to make a go at it. They just need to hit on the right combination of variables.

Sounds like a good business opportunity for Kem-tron

As we discussed. Until its 12K of asphalt, I ain't touching it!

Sorry to sidetrack here....

How are things going up there since fuel has gone (further) through the roof? I know you guys said those little towns pretty much exist for the snowmobiles in the winter and 4-wheelers in summer. With fuel so high, is that affecting the recreational traffic up there? Is the gas station/ice cream shop/grocery store/hardware store/mayor's office still in business?

I hope you guys have a good season. What's the news on the guard tower?

I hope to start the rebuild project on the upper portion or "shack" this summer. The legs are already in place on new concrete piers out near the airport entrance.
Should be easy, only a matter of time and money:wink2:

Sorry to sidetrack here....

How are things going up there since fuel has gone (further) through the roof? I know you guys said those little towns pretty much exist for the snowmobiles in the winter and 4-wheelers in summer. With fuel so high, is that affecting the recreational traffic up there? Is the gas station/ice cream shop/grocery store/hardware store/mayor's office still in business?
Fuel is high for sure,car traffic is way down, snowmobile season was bad.
Sidnaw Minimart is still going although Tom will be 73 this year and he'd like to sell and retire.

Back