61.56 Flight Review

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
Just started working Part 135 this year. I was wondering. Would my annual Part 135 checkride in a helicopter count for my BFR for PPL airplane? Thanks.

sure if the examiner signs it off as a flight review

He did. I read on another forum that it had to be in same category though to count for BFR? I didn't read that anywhere in the FARs.

Unnecessary. A 135.293 12-month check is given by either an Inspector (and FSDO Ops Inspectors are "examiners") or a check airman approved by the FSDO.
(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.
Thus, the check itself obviates the need for a flight review, and no additional paperwork is required.

He did. I read on another forum that it had to be in same category though to count for BFR? I didn't read that anywhere in the FARs.

no. a flight review in any category and class you are rated for resets the clock for all categories and classes you are rated for.

Unnecessary, but not unauthorized. It just means more paperwork for the check airman. However, it does mean the check airman must also be an authorized instructor, and not all 121/135 check airman have a current Flight Instructor certificate (or maybe not even an expired one) -- without which they cannot give a flight review or sign a flight review endorsement.

I read on another forum that it had to be in same category though to count for BFR?
The other forum is wrong.

I didn't read that anywhere in the FARs.
Your reading is correct. 61.56 says a flight review must be given in a category which the pilot has on his/her pilot certificate, but there is nothing in that reg saying the flight review must have been in the same category as the aircraft the pilot wishes to fly.
(c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has--
(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor...
So, if you have Airplane, Rotorcraft, and LTA ratings on your ticket, you can do a flight review in any of them and then be 61.56-current for all of them.

But since someone who's successfully completed a 135.293 check within the preceding 24 calendar months doesn't need a logged flight review, none of that matters anyway. Of course, to be able to be a 135 pilot, you need the appropriate category rating for what you'll be flying, but that's not relevant to the issue at hand.

Thanks guys. Ron, I wasn't sure if an entry was required so I had him sign my logbook just in case. Overly cautious I guess. :wink2:

Thanks guys. Ron, I wasn't sure if an entry was required so I had him sign my logbook just in case. Overly cautious I guess. :wink2:
As long as you entered in your pilot logbook at least one hour of ground training including "A review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter" and one hour of flight training, and the instructor/check airman signed both the log entry and the flight review endorsement with his CFI number and expiration date, it's OK.

As long as you entered in your pilot logbook at least one hour of ground training including "A review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter" and one hour of flight training, and the instructor/check airman signed both the log entry and the flight review endorsement with his CFI number and expiration date, it's OK.

OK. Thanks again Ron. While I got ya. It's my understanding that I would not be able to use an IPC in the helicopter to count for my PPL airplane IFR ticket. That does have to be in category correct?

It's my understanding that I would not be able to use an IPC in the helicopter to count for my PPL airplane IFR ticket. That does have to be in category correct?
From 61.57(d):
(1) The instrument proficiency check must be--
(i) In an aircraft that is appropriate to the aircraft category;
So, an IPC in a single engine seaplane is good for a multiengine landplane (different class, but same category) but an IPC in a helo doesn't count for an airplane of any class.

Yep. That's how I read it. Thanks.

Back