60 FAA Review Period - Medical

CAFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CAFlyer
I'm new on this forum (although I've occasionally visited) so I apologize for mistakes I may make in terms of creating threads/ posting on this website.

I recently applied for a 3rd class medical certificate for the first time. I unfortunately had to mark yes to question 18w due to an arrest that occurred 3.5 years ago that resulted in a misdemeanor substance possession charge (I am not going to get into the details, but it is fairly straight forward and I assume many of you can fill in the pieces). Other than this, the rest of my exam went fine. I was 23 at the time but I have grown up a lot since then and have taken responsibility for my actions, really.

I brought with me to my exam: 1. The court documentation and arrest report 2. A personal statement 3. A positive evaluation and recommendation from a DOT Certified SAP, concluding that this was a one time mistake and not a dependency/abuse problem.

The AME felt that I should be able to be issued a medical without a deferral. The AME did not issue it in the office but instead followed up by calling the FAA. The AME informed me that whoever answered the phone in OKC was filled in on the details of my case, and they checked with an FAA Physician who said that it was the AME's call whether to issue or deffer my application. The AME elected to issue my certification and send all my documentation in.

As of today I have my 3rd Class medical. My question relates to how the FAA has 60 days to reverse the AME's decision to issue my medical if they so choose. Again, the FAA instructed my AME that it was his call on whether to issue me.... which he did. However, I am a bit paranoid and hesitant to start my private pilot training until 60 days pass. My worry is that someone else in OKC may receive my medical who has a different opinion than the guy over the phone.

1. Does anyone know how often the FAA even Reviews 3rd Class Medicals that were issued by an AME? I've read they are typically to bogged down in reviewing deferred applications and that they typically trust the AME's decision if the medical is issued.
2. Given the circumstances would they reverse an AME's medical decision with a case like mine? Its not like I had a disqualifying medical diagnosis, it is more of a subjective case...

Again, I think I am being a bit paranoid, but have no experience dealing with the FAA in OKC.

Thank you for your time and responses.

Very low risk, you get one minor issue for free, not a second, be careful.

agree! report back for all to learn the FAA's response to the documents you sent. it usually says : 'be a good airman and report if you are not' ;)

Thank you all for the advice.....I have one follow up.

If I progress through my PPL - I'll want to enroll in a flight school that requires a 1st class medical. If say in 6 months I go back to my AME to upgrade my medical for a 1st class, will I just state 'Previously Reported, No Change'?

As long as I reported it this time around on my 3rd class, will the FAA reevaluate it when/if I do decide to go for the first class? Or is this issue done and over - as long as I have no future medical or 'legal' issues.

Thanks

agree! report back for all to learn the FAA's response to the documents you sent. it usually says : 'be a good airman and report if you are not' ;)

Just wanted to report back. I've received no letters from the FAA in regards to my medical. The only thing I've received is a letter giving me the option to keep my address private or to allow them to publish it. Anyways I think that the advice from my AME and my own research has allowed me to pass this hurdle. Needless to say I've learned a lot from all of this.

In regards to my training I took everyone's advise and moved forward. I've been flying multiple times a week and will likely be ready for my check-ride in the next month. As I posted before, the next step I'd like to take is to enroll at a school which will allow me to do my instrument, multi, and commercial all at once. Most of these schools require a First Class Medical to ensure that you will be actually be hire-able after spending all that time and money training.

What advice does anyone have for me in regards to going back in a month or so (after I've completed my PPL) to my AME in hopes of upgrading my 3rd to a 1st class medical? As long as there is nothing new to report to my AME, can the FAA revisit something I've reported on a previous application since now I'm applying for a 1st rather than 3rd?

u are on a roll ... go for it as i would anticipate no problems.

u are on a roll ... go for it as i would anticipate no problems.

Another follow up - I've dragged my training out a bit longer. I now have the requirements to sit for the check-ride, although I'm in no rush to actually take the exam right now. When it comes to the IACRA form 8710-1 reads under Block O:

"
Have you ever been convicted for violation of any Federal or State statutes relating to narcotic drugs, marijuana, or depressant or stimulant drugs or substances?” The applicant must check “Yes” or “No,” as appropriate (refer to § 61.15). Do not include alcohol offenses involving motor vehicle mode of transportation, as those are covered on FAA Form 8500-8, Application for Airman Medical Certificate or Airman Medical and Student Pilot Certificate.

1)If the date of final conviction is more than 1 year before the date of application, the inspector should conduct the practical test and, if appropriate, issue the airman certificate.
2) An examiner must contact an operations inspector in the nearest district office, and advise the inspector that the file indicates a narcotics conviction more than 1 year before the date of application. The operations inspector receiving this notification should advise the appropriate Regional Flight Surgeon (RFS) for any action deemed appropriate."

Does anyone have knowledge about what the RFS is reviewing when a DPE notifies them they have passed and issued a PPL to someone who has filled out the IACRA form in this manner? Since I've already reported this and have held a 3rd class medical for 6 months with no new information to report - I'd assume (hope?) that this is just checks and balances, and there would be nothing else to review.

Does anyone have any knowledge on what the RFS review is for, after a PPL is issued by a DPE but then reported to the RFS for review?

They are looking for this.....check it out and se if 26 (ix) applies to you. Are you SURE you mean "RFS" review?

Attachments

• Disqualifying Criminal Offenses-A.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 323
Thank you all for the advice.....I have one follow up.

If I progress through my PPL - I'll want to enroll in a flight school that requires a 1st class medical. If say in 6 months I go back to my AME to upgrade my medical for a 1st class, will I just state 'Previously Reported, No Change'?

As long as I reported it this time around on my 3rd class, will the FAA reevaluate it when/if I do decide to go for the first class? Or is this issue done and over - as long as I have no future medical or 'legal' issues.

Thanks
A word to the wise....

If you want to fly for a living in the U.S., don't even THINK about getting near anyone who is smoking anything illegal, even where it has been deemed "Legal". If that means changing your friends/family circles, so be it. All it will take is a single random screen, and you're done.

They are looking for this.....check it out and se if 26 (ix) applies to you. Are you SURE you mean "RFS" review?

Bruce - I am not SURE about the RFS review. As I understand it the wording I referenced above seems to indicate that they send it to RFS review even if one year has passed. I can only imagine that this is a redundant check - to confirm a valid medical was issued. Thank you for providing that attachment, and no 26 (ix) does not apply; legally I know that I am OK....I just wanted to double check to see if for some reason medically they would reevaluate. It sounds like that's unlikely.

FlyingEvii - I appreciate your advice. This is a mistake from 4 years ago in college - before my aviation involvement - that I take responsibility for, am honest about, and have moved on from making responsible choices in my life. I understand I have no more leeway - and some people already may never give me a shot. I've accepted that is their right; and a result of my own actions. However, I think that you need to do what you feel is right in your life and this is what I want to do. I may never make it to the pinnacle of the industry and that is OK with me.... One thing for sure, is that I'm going to try. I think as long as I'm honest and live my life the right way that I'm too young to give up. Thank you for the reminder that EVERY choice will have consequences; you are right and something I need to always take into account in life.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back