6 Weeks, 14 hours.

Akita

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
Hi everyone, I'm new here.:)

I started flight training on a whim 6 weeks ago, Friday 9-9-11 I solo-ed after 14 hours of training.

I tend to jump into everything headfirst. I did a lot of reading about training and also buying planes and what to look for. 2 weeks ago I took delivery of a 1970 Cherokee 140, 600 hrs on the engine, under 3,000 on the airframe. New paint and new interior, freshly IFR certified with a vr80 GPS.

The first 10 hours of training was in my instructors 172. My 140 climbs a tad slower but lands a whole lot nicer especially with any type of cross winds. It's also a whole lot prettier :D

Lots more work to do, more cross countries and night flying. I tend to have just a bit of fear, healthy fear I believe. I ride a Harley and I think the many years of riding has given me a bit of extra "focus".

I'm sure I will have a million questions,,, First how do I get a picture in my post? It's in an album I just created.
picture.php

Last edited:
You're new. In order to make sure you are real, moderators have to approve any threads you start, until you have a certain number of posts. Hey moderators, do your job!

And welcome.

Ok well I could see it for a few minutes, I was trying to put a picture in it and it disappeared. I do understand that newbies need to be verified,,,,,

interesting that the thread preview shows the post text...just not the actual thread. I see solo at 14 hours, and bought a plane. Wow - that is head first!

It will soon magically appear, and then we will look like we don't know what we are talking about when it does. I could actually read some of the post when I hovered over the thread before clicking on it.

Ok well I could see it for a few minutes, I was trying to put a picture in it and it disappeared. I do understand that newbies need to be verified,,,,,

Spam tend to contain links, therefore...

But anyhow, you bought a 1970 what?

(Oh, and welcome!)

Haha, pilots and detectives here :)

The short version.
Soloed 6 weeks and 14 hours into my training. Bought a cherokee 140 :)

Welcome to POA. Nice bird! You know you are required to post some panel shots :)

Not much to look at but I just put a panel shot in my album.

I am training not far from there, at 5K6, but you get the better lake view. When you get a chance, share your experience about acquiring the Cherokee :drool:. How did you find it? How did the negotiations go? What did the pre-buy find :)

Yeah, what he said. Inquiring (and potentially buying) minds want to know. All I know is what I see advertised on Controller.com, eBay and Barnstormers... don't know how the real world compares.

I am training not far from there, at 5K6, but you get the better lake view. When you get a chance, share your experience about acquiring the Cherokee :drool:. How did you find it? How did the negotiations go? What did the pre-buy find :)

I looked at several Cessna's, 172's and 182's. Anything decent with low TT and SMOH was out of my price range. I looked at one other Cherokee but had some high hours. I got to go for a ride in it (the 140) and found it much more enjoyable to fly then the Cessna I train/ed in.

I was browsing barnstormers one day and found 75U, called the guy selling it and made plans to drive over to Ohio to look it over. The Plane was beautiful as described and I bought it, not really a very an interesting story. One thing is I wanted the seller to deliver it, I figure if the guy was willing to fly it over from Ohio he had at least some faith in it. All logs were meticulous, had a nose gear collapse in the 70's but had a "firewall forward".

Knock on wood, she's running great, around 7 GPH in the few hours I have been doing touch and goes and one XC in it.

A couple that I looked at,,,, I'll just say if they were cars,,,, I would rather walk.:D

Last edited:
Yeah, what he said. Inquiring (and potentially buying) minds want to know. All I know is what I see advertised on Controller.com, eBay and Barnstormers... don't know how the real world compares.

I just bought a 140 last month.
I found it on an Ebay auction. It was actually local, so I went and looked at it and took it up a bit. It didn't sell on Ebay, so I asked the owner about it. He had a buyer, so I thought that was that.
I ended up calling him a few weeks later to ask if, by chance, he didn't sell it. He hadn't, so I bought it. Apparently for very cheap :D.

Great plane! Easy, cheap (relatively) and fun to fly!!

hay i bought my c 150 from a guy at mle last year now its at lnk

Back