6 Down, 4 to Go!

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
I went out flying, after midnight, out in the starlight...well maybe not quite so late (and apologies to Patsy Cline. ;)). I did, however, fly for the first time at night Thursday evening! I'm still not sure what's the proper adjective to use, as I can't decide if it was awesome and fun or just mentally exhausting and slightly frustrating. :p

IMG_20201105_173041492.jpg

Driving west on the way to the airport had a gorgeous view of the sunset. I decided to go straight down to the airport after work, even though I'd get there about an hour before my lesson was supposed to start because I'd rather waste time at the airport than at work. :D

When I got there, my instructor was getting ready to go up before she went up with me since she hadn't gone flying at night for quite a while. She'd gotten another instructor to go with her, since she wanted to fly right seat and she hadn't been flying at night for so long. I was going to sit on the ramp and watch, but the other instructor said I should come along and sit in the back seat, so I did. First time in the back seat and flying at night! That was really weird. Totally different sight picture for sure! It was a really beautiful night - very smooth, very clear, and very dark. I didn't get any pictures, though, since I didn't want to turn my phone on and mess up my night vision. I wish I had some, though!

After my instructor did three landings, she must not have been feeling very confident, because she asked if I minded if she let the other instructor sit right seat while I flew some circuits. I didn't, so we shutdown and did the seat shuffle. I learned it's not normal to get out of the backseat by sliding between the two front seats, that most people don't read the checklist by the glow of the instrument lighting, and that if I ever take a tall passenger flying with me, they should sit in the seat behind me because there's more leg room back there than in the front. Also, if you're flying with two instructors, sometimes the best thing you can do is just completely tune them out...the distraction potential just doubled. ;)

Actually, I learned a lot more than that. Night flight is hard! Takeoffs are weird, because of the illusion that the nose is way up in the sky, keeping track of wind drift is difficult, and trying to judge round-out timing made me feel like a 15-hr student again. Also, I don't think I've overshot the final turn that many times in a row for about 20 hours! I did six circuits, and it was getting better at the end, but I still haven't found that sweet spot for round-out that results in consistently good results. None of the landings were bad, per se, they just weren't up to my preferred standards. I did, however, stop overshooting final. ;) I also learned that the plane handles a little differently when it's more fully loaded. Climbing takes a whole lot longer than normal!

IMG_20201106_202721.jpg

My instructor took this picture from the backseat. I think it's on final, as there's too many lights through the windshield to be anywhere else. If you want to practice black-hole approaches, you should come fly in here! Before the moon rises, it is dark. LOL Which means...you really have to remember to turn the lights on. Every time. Otherwise, you land, take off, turn crosswind, glance over your shoulder to judge the downwind turn - and the runway has completely disappeared. That is freaky. Thankfully, it's easily fixable!

I got 6/10 landings done, and now I'm waiting for the wind to take a break to squeeze in my night cross-country. Getting these last few things knocked out has been a challenge with the winds and weather we've been having, but I'm slowly getting closer. Slowly being the operative word. Did I mention I struggle with being patient?! LOL

I did the same thing last night. Everything you've said I can confirm except the extra body in the plane.

In our case, we were flying in to a towered airport. As we approached the airport we couldn't hardly see it. I wound up lining up on the highway at the end of the runway and pointing the nose at the gas station we usually turn base to final over.

After the flight, I got in the car and it was still very very dark. That explained why I was looking so hard for the taxiway or the yellow line to get me there.

Night flying is a whole different ball game. I really enjoy it but it ups all the risk factors. During my ppl training I really enjoyed the process even though I was impatient like you! Have fun and be a sponge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Love flying at night.!! It is usually smoother air, less traffic and less radio noise.

I really enjoyed flying at night in northern Alaska with no visible horizon and no ground lights. Talk about real sensory deprivation.

I never figured out the folks I have met that will absolutely not fly at night.

I really enjoyed flying at night in northern Alaska with no visible horizon and no ground lights. Talk about real sensory deprivation.

I never figured out the folks I have met that will absolutely not fly at night.

Didja ever figure that those things might sorta be related?

Didja ever figure that those things might sorta be related?

2 totally different areas. Flying lower 48 is really tame most of the time. I guess I coulda been a little more clear on that.

On the other side, flying in Alaska on a cloudless night, full moon with the ground covered in snow is so bright it is almost like flying in the daytime. I have seen the same conditions in the tame 48 and folks still refuse to fly at night. Maybe the same reasoning I am uncomfortable flying a single engine over very populated cities.

I love to fly at night! The only issue is takeoff and landing at my home airport KONZ. I have no Idea why but the deer absolutely love to hang out on the runways! I ALWAYS do a low pass before going around and do a short field landing. 90% of the time there are a few deer hanging out on the runway.

We live on a private airport. My neighbor hit a deer with the 150 on roll-out after a landing one night. Insurance company totaled the airplane, but he bought it back and rebuilt it.

It's fun flying at night looking at Christmas lights.

The wife and I make a traditional Christmas Eve flight to look at the lights.

And this year you can even do it in IMC

hHa does ATC provide separation for Santa while IFR?

I haven’t flown at night since early on in IR training. Those were great flights. Smooth air and beautiful approaches to the lit up airport environment.

Going to wait until after I have my IR to do solo night flights. And then it will be vmc to start. . Soon soon....

We live on a private airport. My neighbor hit a deer with the 150 on roll-out after a landing one night. Insurance company totaled the airplane, but he bought it back and rebuilt it.

It's fun flying at night looking at Christmas lights.

Sorry to hijack, but had to ask. Are they really impressive? When I got back into flying, two of my interests were to see fireworks at night and Christmas lights at night. After seeing how unimpressive fireworks are from the air I never got around to the Christmas lights. Figured if something as large and bright as fireworks looked small from 2500 ft, Christmas lights would almost disappear. Hoping I was hasty in that decision.

Christmas lights are better than fireworks to me. Is is something you should do. But once is enough.

Never thought to see Christmas lights from the air. 2500’ or 3000’ agl can you can see them?

Is it better to overfly towns, burbs or other for good viewing ?

I think I will take my kid up to do this in December.

Back