6" Cleveland Wheels - Hubcaps?

hamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hamer
Trying to decide if I want to keep my hubcaps on of off. I prefer off from the ease of maintenance standpoint, but I would like to keep the dirt out of my wheel bearings as much as possible.

I vaguely remember there being a mini hub cap that only pops over the axle nut. Is that right? Or am I making that up?

grove_install_01.jpg
grove_install_03.jpg

Removing 3 screws is far easier than cleaning and re-packing bearings. Leave the caps on.

Ah, I see your complaint now, wasn't clear at first. You have to remove the cap to access the inflation valve.

I'd still leave the cap on. Before removing them completely, I'd put an access hole in them.

Put some Stan’s No Tubes or Orange Seal and you’ll never need to adjust air pressure again. Or buy Bushwheels and the fillers are in the sidewall of the tires, not the wheels. :)

What you want is those Hubba Hubba caps with the valve stem access door from ACS.

I have a similar type cap. I just take them off to check pressure, every few months or so.

Removing 3 screws is far easier than cleaning and re-packing bearings. Leave the caps on.
Yes. If need be then put a hole in the cap and use a an extender on the valve stem which is what the nose wheel on my C-210 has. If flying into really grubby strips maybe cover the axle end with duct tape and an aluminum disc too.

Back