6/7 Kitfox fatality Wyoming

Did anyone else go "huh? Wha?" at "crashed into the lake and burst into flames almost immediately" ...

Can happen, burning water was one of the swimming exercises one had to master in Navy swim training.

Can happen, burning water was one of the swimming exercises one had to master in Navy swim training.
yeah, I had to do DWEST (water survival training) including the Dilbert dunker and the helo dunker every year ... but the potential of hitting the water at 2-300 knots with 12,000 lbs of JP-5 compared to a kitfox bursting into flame after "wobbling a bit and impacting the water" (my paraphrase) just doesn't seem close enough for me to even consider post-crash fire as a probability. But, apparently it was, and is.

Did anyone else go "huh? Wha?" at "crashed into the lake and burst into flames almost immediately" ...

Sure looks burned in the pictures. I believe I see wheels, he may have tried to land on the grass next to the lake and skidded into the shallow water.

Gas is lighter than water, it floats on top. So the impact could rupture a tank, there could be a spark or some other source of ignition and there could be fire

Gas is lighter than water, it floats on top. So the impact could rupture a tank, there could be a spark or some other source of ignition and there could be fire
obviously more than "could" ... "did!" and I'm not arguing that it did or didn't burn ... just struck me as odd that I fail to think about the possibility of a post crash fire combined with a ditching. I was pointing out my flawed thought process.
This does sound more like an uncontrolled crash than a controlled ditching - of course we all know how accurate eye witnesses are in describing these kind of events.

obviously more than "could" ... "did!" and I'm not arguing that it did or didn't burn ... just struck me as odd that I fail to think about the possibility of a post crash fire combined with a ditching. I was pointing out my flawed thought process.
This does sound more like an uncontrolled crash than a controlled ditching - of course we all know how accurate eye witnesses are in describing these kind of events.
I don’t think there is much room to argue seeing as how it’s in the lake burned to a crisp.

Gas is lighter than water. So the impact could rupture a tank, there could be a spark or some other source of ignition and there could be fire

Gotcha. Yeah, it doesn't happen often

I looked at post-crash fires of homebuilts last year. Out of homebuilt types that had 50 or more accidents in the ~20 year spread of my database, only one had NO post-crash fires.

It was the Searey...an amphibian. Seventy percent of the accidents were on water.

Ron Wanttaja

Maybe they were water skiing the tires.

Back