5kt crosswind and does wind tire need to touch first?

pilotod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eyeflying
If the plane touches down at normal landing speed in a 5kt crosswind is it not a crosswind landing if both tires touch at the same time and the longitudinal access is on the center line at landing? I was wondering because today with a direct crosswind I had to make one tire touch first to make my CFI happy. There are some homes that could have been blocking some of that crosswind but I don't know how much a factor they are.

And I'm just a bit confused about the upwind tire vs the downwind tire. Describing tires by using upwind and downwind when we're in a crosswind seems strange. Downwind is with the wind behind me I thought.

just remember in primary training they are just making sure you understand unequivocally how to do it the "right" way.

so basically the process for getting a certificate is
  1. make your CFI happy
  2. make your DPE happy
  3. now YOU are happy

If the plane touches down at normal landing speed in a 5kt crosswind is it not a crosswind landing if both tires touch at the same time and the longitudinal access is on the center line at landing? I was wondering because today with a direct crosswind I had to make one tire touch first to make my CFI happy. There are some homes that could have been blocking some of that crosswind but I don't know how much a factor they are.

And I'm just a bit confused about the upwind tire vs the downwind tire. Describing tires by using upwind and downwind when we're in a crosswind seems strange. Downwind is with the wind behind me I thought.

If the wind is blowing left to right, the left tire is on the upwind side. And vice-versa.

The whole purpose of landing on the upwind tire is to land with zero side velocity (no left - right motion). It is possible to land with a crab angle on short final, straighten out just before touchdown and plop it on the runway wings level. Your CFI is trying to teach you the right technique to land with zero side velocity/force in stronger crosswinds. Keep practicing it, you will get it soon enough.

-Skip

Your instructor is teaching proper technique. With a very small crosswind component (like today) the upwind wheel (the one on the side of the airplane from which the wind is blowing) will touch first but almost imperceptibly so. With a stronger wind, the upwind wing will be lowered even more and the need to touch down on the upwind wheel will be much more apparent.

The terminology can be a bit confusing, but it will sort out quickly as you continue your training. Just remember that the same descriptive terms (upwind, downwind, crosswind) are often used to describe both pattern legs and relative wind direction during any phase of flight, but they have entirely different meanings. Don't worry too much about it, you'll soon understand how it all fits together.

Thanks. Just venting frustration. After almost 70 hours and having a new CFI working me out for 6 ground hours in the past week in preparation for a checkride I'm getting worn out.

Roger that. It does get a bit tedious and frustrating near the end, but the good news is that you're almost there. Hang tough, this too shall pass.

Thanks. Just venting frustration. After almost 70 hours and having a new CFI working me out for 6 ground hours in the past week in preparation for a checkride I'm getting worn out.

You can use the inertia of the airplane to eliminate lateral motion at touchdown without dropping a wing but you have to time it just right.

5 knots is barely noticeable. Probably why it seemed odd/difficult.

If you could go up in 10-15 knots, you might find it more natural to hang the upwind wheel down a little.

Well, that's good to know and probably not something the CFI would have agreed with. His issue was to minimize the side load and I completely understand that. But the rare crosswinds I've dealt with wer never more than maybe 5kts with the previous CFI and my landings were fine....now they're not apparently.

5 knots is barely noticeable. Probably why it seemed odd/difficult.

If you could go up in 10-15 knots, you might find it more natural to hang the upwind wheel down a little.

"Downwind" is relative to the wind, not you. If the wind is coming from your left then right is downwind which may also be referenced as leeward (pronounced looward).

Once you learn the instructed technique, and pass the check ride, then you will get to do them which ever way you are more comfortable with.

I actually look forward to going up and practicing cross wind landings, and trying out different techniques to see what best suits me.

Just keep your head held high and get ready for the check ride. Once that is over, you will have another great thread to post.

Good luck.

Back