'56 Skyhawk - no joy

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Went back and really looked her over this past weekend:

1. Although KX175B, no glideslope, thus cannot shoot ILS. That shot this one down.
  2. A gent from Alaska has put a deposit down, so if it works out, his aircraft.
I did spend a great deal of time looking at it, someone is going to get one HELL of a nice VFR plane. This one was the real deal, and looking at the logs, the General was one hell of an anal man and really took care of that plane.

Had it been even somewhat IFR friendly, I would have snapped it up.

Part of me feels sad for missing this one, but I really want something IFR.

Thanks Tom and all who answered questions, the knowledge WILL be put to good use in the not too distant future!

I really like the straight tails, maybe a straight tail 182???

Bill Jennings said:

1. Although KX175B, no glideslope, thus cannot shoot ILS. That shot this one down.
  2. A gent from Alaska has put a deposit down, so if it works out, his aircraft.
I did spend a great deal of time looking at it, someone is going to get one HELL of a nice VFR plane. This one was the real deal, and looking at the logs, the General was one hell of an anal man and really took care of that plane.

Had it been even somewhat IFR friendly, I would have snapped it up.

Part of me feels sad for missing this one, but I really want something IFR.

Thanks Tom and all who answered questions, the knowledge WILL be put to good use in the not too distant future!

I really like the straight tails, maybe a straight tail 182???

When you have done your home work, and can reconize a good deal when you see one as fast as the guy from Alaska did, you'll buy.

I think in the near future you'll see a increase in aircraft for sale, Just my hunch, but I think the price of fuel will force a lot of pliots out.

When you look at the early 172/182/180 you will see that the radios are all over the place, they make poor instrument platforms. to get them to standard scan you need a very costly instrument panel mod, which includes a "Y" yoke flight control mod. Think 15-20k before purchase of electronics.

Just because you have a vac pump drive does not end the problems.

To gain the requirements you set, you are much better off looking at a 180 horse arrow or the 180 horse Comanchee.

Last edited:
Bill

Sorry you missed out on this one but there will be other opportunites. Spoken very well in the post above the early Panels were "Shot Gun" with instruments and radio's all over the place. IFR can be done but it gets real tiring fast with a shot gun panel.

Good luck and let us know what you get.
John

NC19143 said:
When you have done your home work, and can reconize a good deal when you see one as fast as the guy from Alaska did, you'll buy.

Oh, I recognized the good deal last week, and as I said, had it even been remotely IFR friendly, I would have bought the plane. But it just didn't have the equipment to do what I want...no harm, no foul, no judgement, it just didn't do what I want.

To gain the requirements you set, you are much better off looking at a 180 horse arrow or the 180 horse Comanchee.

True, but those big ol' Cessna flaps sure are nice for short field/grass field operations, especially compared to those simple Cherokee hinged flaps.

What year did the 172/182 panels start using the "T" configuration, radios in a stack, etc? Maybe this is where I should start looking.

Bill Jennings said:

Although this one was probably not what you want/need for other reasons, I wouldn't pass on an otherwise acceptable airplane due to a lack of GS capability. Most (but not all) nav radios can be upgraded to full ILS capability for as little as $1000-1500.

lancefisher said:
[/list] Most (but not all) nav radios can be upgraded to full ILS capability for as little as $1000-1500.

Including a new VOR head?

Bill Jennings said:
Including a new VOR head?

Yes (sort of). You trade in your single pointer head for a used dual pointer and add a used G/S receiver. Total parts cost is approximately $750. That leaves enough for 10-12 hours of shop time for the installation.

Bill;

I do remember the early T panels came out in 1962. Please correct me if I am wrong but I do remember so well the 1962 version with the deep cowl and yup it was really quiet to fly. They still had the radios all over the place but there was the "standard Six" I always though loved those old 172s with the straight tails. They were light on the controls and fun to fly.

John

Bill Jennings said:
What year did the 172/182 panels start using the "T" configuration, radios in a stack, etc? Maybe this is where I should start looking.

I looked in my book "Standard Catalog of Cessna Single engine aircraft" and found that they quit listing the STC up grade for the later version of the panel in 1959, but they don't show me a picture of an instrument panel until the model year 1962 and it is center stacked.

My best guess is 1959

Here are a couple things to ponder.

Early Cessna 172/182 set with a slight nose down attitude. they blow over easier, and they taxi poorly in a cross wind.

I would look for an aircraft more like this

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_...oup=truexxxxxsearchid=5914614xxxxxregionid=-1

Bill Jennings said:
Looks nice, also, what to you think of 180's?
I have a 1959' 182. It has a center radio stack. I had to move the gauges around, but it is easy and cheap to t-configure as long as you have a center radio stack & the holes in the right place.

with a KX170B/175B it is easy to put in a glide slope because the radio sends out a signal for the glide slope receiver. You just add a GS receiver & change the head

A KX155 cannot be upgraded to GS. You would need a new radio & new head because the GS receiver in built into the radio.

If you find a good deal, it will sell in a few days. If you find a great deal, it will sell in a few hours. If you want a great deal, you need to be ready to pounce with cash & you can forget about a 26 page pre buy agreement. Those are reserved for pricy planes.

Back