530W database update

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I bought my plane a few months ago and it came with a 530W as well as USB readers from both Garmin and Jeppesen.

I assume the card is inside the 530W unit and that I need to take it out, put it in the reader and download the database update, then return the card to the 530W and leave it in there.

Do I buy the database from Jeppesen or Garmin?

It looks like Jeppesen sell it here:

http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-overview.jsp?cid=excg5501938

And Garmin here:

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

For GPS nav data, you update the Jeppesen card. I believe the other card would be for terrain/obstacles and gets updated with Garmin (but I'm not sure, I've never updated that one).

You need to buy a ridiculously overpriced USB adapter that you plug the card into and update off your computer.

Edit: I see you may already have the adapter.

You need to buy a ridiculously overpriced USB adapter that you plug the card into and update off your computer.
Yes. Since it is WAAS, if you want to update the terrain card, you have to have the overpriced Garmin cable (the Jepp Skybound adapter won't work for that one).

MOST people just get the navigation database subscription from Jeppesen and either never update the terrain card or they do it only occasionally.

For IFR, all you need is the navigation database to be current.

I have both a Garmin USB reader (it is oblong and black, as well as a Jeppesen one - a bit Y-shaped and translucent or grey (I don't have it in front of me).

Are both cards the same kind (even though the data is different)? Why would I need two different readers (the previous owner just gave me a box with this stuff)

Are both cards the same kind (even though the data is different)? Why would I need two different readers (the previous owner just gave me a box with this stuff)
Both cards appear the same and will fit into both of the connectors you have, but only the Jepp cable will communicate with the Nav data card and only the Garmin cable will communicate with the terrain card.

It's an proprietary avionics thing.

I'm also keeping my eye out for this (http://bad-elf.com/pages/wombat) which looks like it will negate me having to lug a laptop to the plane or take the card home from the plane.

I looked at that too and I suspect it only works with Jepp data (like from JSUM), not Garmin (like from FlyGarmin). The FlyGarmin site uses a standard PC browser and requires a "Garmin Communicator" plugin that I highly doubt is available for Safari. I get my data from FlyGarmin, not Jepp, so I really don't think that BadElf device would work and BadElf has nothing on that page to make me think otherwise, especially this:

The exact features supported by Wombat depend on your avionics configuration and NavData supplier. We'll publish a more detailed compatibility and feature matrix in the coming weeks.
Well that page has been up for months and no feature matrix has been forthcoming. Their avionics list just says it's compatible with "Garmin" which is meaningless without knowing where the data is coming from. I don't like their vagueness.

Yup, just update the Jepp nav card for IFR ops if needed, don't bother with the terrain.

Well yes, there's that. But a guy can dream, can't he? :D

I dream of that thing too. I hate the ****ty FlyGarmin update process. They need an iOS-only update solution. It's 2015 for the sake of Pete.

Still this could be an option for you if you are using Jepp data.

So from Jepp, do I just subscribe and download the database, then copy it to the card? I am on a Mac and use Safari.

So from Jepp, do I just subscribe and download the database, then copy it to the card? I am on a Mac and use Safari.

Subscribe, download the update program, card into reader, reader into computer, fire up the program, log in, hit update.

What program? Is there a Mac version? On the Mac SD cards show up just like a hard drive and I copy files to them.

What program? Is there a Mac version? On the Mac SD cards show up just like a hard drive and I copy files to them.
There's an app for that....it's called JdmApp, available in the App Store.

The App logs into Jepp with your account and you can download and program the card using the card adapter.

You can't get the NAVDATA files without suing JSUM (or JDM) to download them. Once that happens there's really nothing magic about updating the cards other than Garmin's propensity in that era to use nonstandard cards.

You can't get the NAVDATA files without suing JSUM (or JDM) to download them. Once that happens there's really nothing magic about updating the cards other than Garmin's propensity in that era to use nonstandard cards.
Didn't Jepp recently get rid of JSUM in favor of JDM?

Side note, if you have (or buy) an extra NavData card, you can alternate between the two in the 530W. I have a spare card in my flight bag that I bring home with me, so when I remember there are nav updates, I pop it into my computer and update it there, then swap it with the one in my panel.

If I remembered to take it out of the Garmin every month, my DB would be eons behind.

In defense of Garmin, in the era of the original 430 (released 1998), there wasn't really any standard. MMC cards were unveiled in 1997, and SD wasn't even a standard until after the 430's release, in August 1999.

For GPS nav data, you update the Jeppesen card. I believe the other card would be for terrain/obstacles and gets updated with Garmin (but I'm not sure, I've never updated that one).

Edit: I see you may already have the adapter.

I actually have extra readers I'm not using anymore.

I actually have extra readers I'm not using anymore.

As others have said, Jepp subscription, Jepp SkyBound G2 adapter, and you'll update the NAV card.

No need to buy the ridiculously overpriced Garmin adapter to update the Terrain card... if you want the terrain card updated your Garmin dealer/avionics shop can do it for you. I don't update it... I have terrain data in my ForeFlight Pro subscription, constantly updated.

As others have said, Jepp subscription, Jepp SkyBound G2 adapter, and you'll update the NAV card.

No need to buy the ridiculously overpriced Garmin adapter to update the Terrain card... if you want the terrain card updated your Garmin dealer/avionics shop can do it for you. I don't update it... I have terrain data in my ForeFlight Pro subscription, constantly updated.

I don't need my readers anymore as we moved to the Avidyne gos units. Those use usb drives

Side note, if you have (or buy) an extra NavData card, you can alternate between the two in the 530W. I have a spare card in my flight bag that I bring home with me, so when I remember there are nav updates, I pop it into my computer and update it there, then swap it with the one in my panel.

If I remembered to take it out of the Garmin every month, my DB would be eons behind.

I was lucky enough that my airplane came with two NavData cards, so this is what I do. Update one, take it with me to the airport and swap it out.

A lot of you are talking about skipping the terrain updates. Which, I do, as I apparently need a large (256G card) for that. But what about the obstacle databases? It looks like those are separate from the terrain database. I've been updating my obstacles every cycle through Garmin. I'd assume obstacles change more often than the terrain:dunno:

I was lucky enough that my airplane came with two NavData cards, so this is what I do. Update one, take it with me to the airport and swap it out.

A lot of you are talking about skipping the terrain updates. Which, I do, as I apparently need a large (256G card) for that. But what about the obstacle databases? It looks like those are separate from the terrain database. I've been updating my obstacles every cycle through Garmin. I'd assume obstacles change more often than the terrain:dunno:

Just not worth it, not much has moved and obstacles are not really that great anyway, especially for seaplanes or backcountry it just goes into "oh chit" mode anyways lol.

Didn't Jepp recently get rid of JSUM in favor of JDM?

They haven't "gotten rid" of JSUM because their software configuration management is so ****-poor that they can't get all the radios that worked with JSUM up for JDM yet.

They haven't "gotten rid" of JSUM because their software configuration management is so ****-poor that they can't get all the radios that worked with JSUM up for JDM yet.

Nice. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

In defense of Garmin, in the era of the original 430 (released 1998), there wasn't really any standard. MMC cards were unveiled in 1997, and SD wasn't even a standard until after the 430's release, in August 1999.

Nonsense. CF cards were out from 1994 (which the boys in Salem had no problem using).

I am a Mac software developer (since 1989). I have to say that their software leaves a LOT to be desired. I'd be happy to fix it for them... For a fee of course. :D

I made a similar offer after I drilled down inside Jeppesen far enough to find out why they weren't supporting the 480 on JDM. It should be a piece of cake. The guys over on the 480 forums already cracked how Jepp does the serial number verification.

Actually, I seriously doubt Jepp has much of an in house staff. My former company actually talked to them a bit about some joint development work (but it never came to fruition).

Back