530/430 WAAS/non

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
If you have a plane that has a 530/430 stack and neither are WAAS, if you upgrade just the 530 would that create any negatives? Problems cross-filling, or anything else?

You won't be able to cross fill, and they use different memory cards so you won't be able to swap them out.

I still do not understand the need for 2 separate installed GPS units. Why not to spend that extra cash on something like Apsen or other electronic PFD ?

The plane came with both. To be honest, I like it. You need two radios/nav units anyway...might as well make them smarter nav/com's.

I usually have the 530 on the map (Nav page 2) and the 430 on nav page 1. Having multiple allows you to display different things simultaneously (traffic, terrain, wx, maps, flt plan, etc). Is it required, no. Necessary, no. To each their own. I do agree that if all you had was the money to do one thing and it was between a second GPS and a PFD, I'd go with the PFD. I have an install appointment in the next month to get the G5 installed. With my 530,430,340,327,gmx200, and G5 I will be having Garmin overload! I'd love a G500/600 but given current equipment and price it's just not in the cards right now. I'm going to give it a couple years and see where we are with previously experimental STC'ed electronics before I do the complete panel makeover.

Also you can have GPS #1 driving your HSI and GPS#2 driving a CDI somewhere else on the panel just to make sure things are matching up.

With the high reliability of the Garmin GPS's I agree that I would spend the money elsewhere first, but having two GPS's is not a bad thing.

Back