5000hp; 6000lbs -Lycoming

I have some time in the CTLS w/Rotax. It is combo water/air-cooled. If you loose the water, you can fly 45 minutes before they consider that you will damage the engine. Throttle down to keep it cool and find an airport - no big problem.

On a IO-360 you can run for over 2000hrs without water.

José

On my Mooney 201 with cowl flaps open CHT barely gets to 300F during a Vx climb.

José
Something tells me you don't have a good engine monitor with probes on every cylinder if the highest you ever see is 300F CHT on a Vx climb on a hot summer day in a 201.

On a IO-360 you can run for over 2000hrs without water.

José

With the added benefit of burning a lot more expensive avgas than you'd burn cheap mogas / JetA1.

Something tells me you don't have a good engine monitor with probes on every cylinder if the highest you ever see is 300F CHT on a Vx climb on a hot summer day in a 201.

I have a multiprobe EGT/CHT gauge. But mine is not the only one that runs below 300F with cowl flaps open and mixture rich. I have flown others with similar readings. The high temp readings (375F) are more common above 11,000feet with cowl flaps closed when runing 25F ROP. But 25F LOP they drop to 360F. At 11,000 25F LOP it does 156kts/8.4gph. Better than any water cooled car runing at 180mph.

José

At 11,000 25F LOP it does 156kts/8.4gph. Better than any water cooled car runing at 180mph.

José

Wouldn't that be related to aerodynamics rather than the type of engine cooling...

Having said that my crap water cooled car engine burns 25l/h at 140 kts cruise (ground level :D), it pulls a lot more weight (shaped a lot less aerodynamically) than a Mooney and can run at peak power for two hours in a row (without me fiddling with mixtures, wastegates, cooling flaps, EGT etc)

But yeah, 30es technology is great...

Wouldn't that be related to aerodynamics rather than the type of engine cooling...

Having said that my crap water cooled car engine burns 25l/h at 140 kts cruise (ground level :D), it pulls a lot more weight (shaped a lot less aerodynamically) than a Mooney and can run at peak power for two hours in a row (without me fiddling with mixtures, wastegates, cooling flaps, EGT etc)

Of course, he could get 5-7+ more knots with a proper water cooled design.:D

Yes, but your water cooled car engine doesn't have to handle 2000 lbs of induced drag to keep your car in the air.

John

As for the elevated skin temp deal...Kinda makes ya wonder how the Concorde flew as good as it did... I seem to remember reading that the leading edge temps were in the 200 f range..:dunno::dunno:

Don't recall performance being a skin heat related issue with the X-15, SR-71 or Concorde. I've read in depth on all three of those programs and can't recall that once being mentioned even.:dunno:

What he said (below)

Isn't a problem, but must be considered when determining the behavior of the airfoil. You are adding energy to the airflow over the wings (via heat transfer) and that will change how the air flows as compared to a cold wing. Adding that energy can actually cause the flow to separate earlier.

Btw, to answer a question from to OP so far not addressed, yes, 700gph would be full rich T/O Power. With water cooling it's much easier to protect ones self from detonation and excess CHT.

Last edited:
Yes, but your water cooled car engine doesn't have to handle 2000 lbs of induced drag to keep your car in the air.

John

Correct. But i'm willing to bet that form drag, surface drag and interface drag more than compensate especially as unlike induced drag they don't decrease with speed ^^

w7gal3.jpg

Looking at the picture, what are the large green tubes at the bottom of the engine, (actually the rear of the engine)?

The problem with car engines in airplanes has nothing to dojwith water cooling. Weight wise we even managed to make a CF & Glass LSA weight (not speed) with a Mazda come in with 495 useful at 1320.

Induction tubes from a centrifugal supercharger.

Are you sure? They seem a bit low in the crankcase for induction. This engine is liquid-cooled so I thought they had to do with coolant.

Are you sure? They seem a bit low in the crankcase for induction. This engine is liquid-cooled so I thought they had to do with coolant.

I"m on my iPad so it's hard to see but it looks like there are 2 sets of plumbing, the green induction plumbing and the gold/alodyne coolant or oil return, I'd have to be closer to it and look to tell better.

Last edited:
My guess is Henning is right... That part of the case is where a centrifugal supercharger compressor wheel would be located..... And.... The more I look at the pic the more I LOVE that engine...... It is truly a work of art.:yesnod:

My guess is Henning is right... That part of the case is where a centrifugal supercharger turbine wheel would be located..... And.... The more I look at the pic the more I LOVE that engine...... It is truly a work of art.:yesnod:

Got a 7 axis machine?;)

Back