500 X 4 innertube?

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Anyone out there have a hot line on a 500 X 4 innertube? Its the same size that goes on an Ercoupe. Did the annual on the glider today and the tube has finally decided to shell out. Its only at least probably 30ish years old. Incredibly the tire seems to be in decent shape with good tread and no checking or anything. I checked on Desser's website and the tubes there run 70 bucks. I suppose thats about right but thought maybe someone out there would know another source.

And while we're at it, does anyone know where to get a 500 X 4 tire that doesnt cost a fortune?? There has got to be a reasonable source somewhere considering all the Ercoupes that are running around. The cheapest I've been able to find is the Goodyear that is Kevlar ribbed or whatever and its about 200 bucks for the tire. It would be nice to have some new rubber to go with the tube. I suspect that the tire on it was put on during the recovering that the glider got in the mid 70's, although I guess it could be older. I sometimes psych myself out thinking about it blowing on an off field landing and imagining what a pain that would be.

Thanks!

Anyone out there have a hot line on a 500 X 4 innertube? Its the same size that goes on an Ercoupe. Did the annual on the glider today and the tube has finally decided to shell out. Its only at least probably 30ish years old. Incredibly the tire seems to be in decent shape with good tread and no checking or anything. I checked on Desser's website and the tubes there run 70 bucks. I suppose thats about right but thought maybe someone out there would know another source.

And while we're at it, does anyone know where to get a 500 X 4 tire that doesnt cost a fortune?? There has got to be a reasonable source somewhere considering all the Ercoupes that are running around. The cheapest I've been able to find is the Goodyear that is Kevlar ribbed or whatever and its about 200 bucks for the tire. It would be nice to have some new rubber to go with the tube. I suspect that the tire on it was put on during the recovering that the glider got in the mid 70's, although I guess it could be older. I sometimes psych myself out thinking about it blowing on an off field landing and imagining what a pain that would be.

Thanks!

It's an oddball size that's for sure, and they ask a premium for that little sucker. I looked at one of the guys I use for all sorts of oddball tires, Tires Unlimited, but they didn't seem to have any deal better than what you're seeing, although I have negotiated price with them over the phone.

Last edited:
i see that Desser's ad in trade a plane showed a retread 500x4 for 80 bucks. they've got the inner tube for that pricerange too. i may just spring for it and go all new, for landout peace of mind. damn tire and tube will cost more than the annual!

i see that Desser's ad in trade a plane showed a retread 500x4 for 80 bucks. they've got the inner tube for that pricerange too. i may just spring for it and go all new, for landout peace of mind. damn tire and tube will cost more than the annual!

And the first field you land in will have freakishly stubborn bean stubble and will poke a hole clear through your brand new tire. ;)

Back