500% late fee for Montana aircraft registration

Send them 375 $1 Checks, take pictures of the checks first. Use different envelopes, send them on separate days with certified mail if you like.

Or show up with pennies.

Also consider including an invoice for your time, and multiple public record requests

It may be printed on the form but it still seems to violate the Montana statute and the 8th Amendment. I don't know if you can sue the State in small claims court but I doubt it. It'll cost you more than $375 to fight it. :(

A quick Google shows this: "Montana Law also has a mandatory Pilot Registration (MCA, Title 67-3-21, Chapter 3, Part 2), the annual fee is $10.00 (this includes a subscription to our monthly newsletter and 1 airport directory). You can call and request a current form at (406) 444-2506 or e-mail ptrooien@mt.gov."

And this: "67-3-212. Flight plan required. (1) The pilot of each flight carrying passengers and originating at a Montana public airport and to be flown under visual flight rules over a distance greater than 250 nautical miles is required to file a flight plan with the federal aviation administration."

Seriously? This kind of stuff drive me nuts. Government run amok.

I guess you just have to file it... no requirement that you subsequently open that flight plan...

Paul

I guess I feel like it goes along with all other deadlines in aviation. Your annual inspection goes out by a day, your airplane is not airworthy. Any of your currency requirements expire by a day, or even a minute, you cant fly legally. It's all a bunch of crap, but those are the rules. Yep, I hate em, but what are you gonna do?

As a MT resident, my 42 year old C182Q costs 20 bucks a year to register. You have 4 months to get it done. Dont be late or add another 325 dollars.

Let me guess, they also sent you a notice to remind you it was due.

I guess I feel like it goes along with all other deadlines in aviation. Your annual inspection goes out by a day, your airplane is not airworthy. Any of your currency requirements expire by a day, or even a minute, you cant fly legally. It's all a bunch of crap, but those are the rules. Yep, I hate em, but what are you gonna do?

The FAA has provided for the procrastinators by having most expiration dates at the end of a month. If you are not smart enough to know you got the entire month an annual, flight review, or instrument currency expires to get it done, that is your fault.

Send them 375 $1 Checks, take pictures of the checks first. Use different envelopes, send them on separate days with certified mail if you like.

Or show up with pennies.

Also consider including an invoice for your time, and multiple public record requests

Pay with 375 $1 swipes of your credit card. The per transaction fees will eat up the late fee.

A quick Google shows this: "Montana Law also has a mandatory Pilot Registration (MCA, Title 67-3-21, Chapter 3, Part 2), the annual fee is $10.00 (this includes a subscription to our monthly newsletter and 1 airport directory). You can call and request a current form at (406) 444-2506 or e-mail ptrooien@mt.gov."

And this: "67-3-212. Flight plan required. (1) The pilot of each flight carrying passengers and originating at a Montana public airport and to be flown under visual flight rules over a distance greater than 250 nautical miles is required to file a flight plan with the federal aviation administration."
The second provision (flight plan) seems to me to be pretty clearly preempted. The first (pilot registration) could well be, too.

It has nothing to do with aviation. It's a state property tax. As you stated, "It's printed on the renewal form, '5 times the fee plus the fee'." If you're late paying any tax there are penalties and interest. I had to pay tax on any registered aircraft domiciled in my home state. Next time don't be late. ;)
I believe we have two issues running in this thread. one is an excessive tax. (500% fine) and the other is an over reach of federal law. (must file a Flight plan)

I'd contact -> https://www.daines.senate.gov
see what he has to say.

Pay with 375 $1 swipes of your credit card. The per transaction fees will eat up the late fee.

Where I am at, if I use my credit card to pay auto/boat registrations and/or property tax there is a $3.00 service charge to me per transaction.. May not be a good idea o_O

I believe we have two issues running in this thread. one is an excessive tax. (500% fine) and the other is an over reach of federal law. (must file a Flight plan)

I'd contact -> https://www.daines.senate.gov
see what he has to say.

Your Senator isn't going to do anything about state government operations.

Last edited:

Many companies now just pass the transaction fees on to the customer. Especially on a government transaction where a credit card is used. This is why I usually pay in cash, to not have to spend an extra 3%. And the tax office here retains the right to deny cash payments made with coins. Apparently they received a truck load of pennies from a citizen that thought he would ''teach'em a lesson'' by paying with pennies. :rofl:

Many companies now just pass the transaction fees on to the customer. Especially on a government transaction where a credit card is used. This is why I usually pay in cash, to not have to spend an extra 3%. And the tax office here retains the right to deny cash payments made with coins. Apparently they received a truck load of pennies from a citizen that thought he would ''teach'em a lesson'' by paying with pennies. :rofl:

The sad thing is by choosing to pass that cost onto the customer they agreed to pay a higher per transaction fee and exchange rate.

Cash is good - I stopped using my debit card quite a while back, except in my bank's ATMs. Have an AMEX used exckusivrly for online.

And while they've established a policy not to accept coins - it isn't a right, though I imagine a judge would likely let it stand as reasonable. One dollar bills might be almost as much fun.

I recall a few years ago some of the credit card companies went after businesses who were setting minimum transaction amounts or trying to charge the fee onto the customer. Think gas stations saying $5 minimum for credit cards or bars saying $20 minimum tab to pay with credit. Apparently in their credit card agreement, the merchant agrees not to make the credit card price different from the cash price or set a minimum charge amount. Rumor has it that you can call the CC company and they will refund the amount on things like that.

Now if only they would stand up to the government entities...

What happens if you don't pay the $375 or delay payment for a while?

I thought it was determined that states could not register aircraft because they are already registered by Federal law?

When I bought my second airplane in 1987, it had an Arizona registration sticker on it. I could have sworn they were ordered to cease state registrations.. I guess those days are gone. My permanent address will always be in Texas, so they can keep their BS laws!

Back