$500 Hamburger??

ryoung99

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
Recently at work there was a raffle and the winner got to have lunch with the boss (me). I decided to do something special and fly the winner to lunch. So on Friday, I got to load up the DA-40 with the winner and his immedate supervisor for a quick trip to Red Bluff, CA for lunch. It was great taking to the skies with two non-pilots.

Lunch at Valeighs Airport Restaurant was excellent. A perfect little airport cafe/diner. While there we met a retired CHP pilot who had saved for many years to buy a plane. He and his wife were on their first trip together in the plane. He was able to buy a low time 172 (1975), that was freshly painted with a 430 for $35k. The plane was in amazing shape, I was shocked to hear what a great deal he got. They were so excited you could not help but get swept up with them.

My co-workers were completely amazed with the experience and how down to earth everyone at the airport was. Between the two of them they must have taken 100 photos.

I have seen a few threads about how many do not want anything to do with those small planes, but days like Friday make me want to share the skies even more. Although I might get turned down, seeing the enjoyment from those who accept my invitation is worth all the rejection.

The only bad part of the day was getting back to my home airport and tallying up the bill (rental plane) $499 for 3.9 hours. But given that it is a DA-40, that is really not too bad.

Today both of them are still talking about the trip.

Attachments

• Red Bluff Trip 3.jpg
    Red Bluff Trip 3.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 34
  • Red Bluff Trip 4.jpg
    Red Bluff Trip 4.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 33
Nicely done.

Back