500 Dual-given, still learning

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
Boo me out.

I deserve it.

In my first 500 hours of dual-given, I was so zealous and eager about teaching people how to fly, that I posted a lot of stupid comments on various boards -- as if I knew it all.

I don't know it all. And, I'm just barely learning.

I've survive multiple (no, change that to many) attempts by students who inadvertently tried to kill me.

I have recovered from at least 5 inadvertent spin entries that I allowed students to progress into so that they'd learn from them.

I have managed to avoid breaking landing gear, in spite of my zeal for teaching the importance of making your spot on a short-field landing.

And, I've not once been unable to re-use the airplane for another training flight. (Thank God.)

So, I decided tonight to have Dispatch print out my flight report for the last 45 day in order to catch up with "paperwork," including my logbook (since there are various 90-day currency requirements). I discovered I hit one of those milestones -- the 500-hour "dual-given" entry in my logbook. It was a while ago. I just lost track of it due to being busy teaching.

The milestone is only important for this reason: It gave me a chance to reflect on whether I am teaching to a level that turns out high-quality pilots.

I certainly hope that I am. But, only their track record will tell.

I am grateful that 100 percent of them passed on the first try.

At least, they have a good running start at success.

My students are learning, in spite of me.

Last edited:
Good post! I guess every rating and endorsement is a lesson to learn!!

Awesome Ben!

I finally caught up with my log the other night. I'm now right at 263.2 hours dual given. I'm gonna get the PDA set up to record it for me. It's way too easy to fall behind.

All I can say is "Yeah!" I've been hesitant to get into ground instruction, for which I have a rating, much less flight instruction, for which I don't (yet). I always feel as if I'm unqualified! With 100% pass rate, sounds like you've got it nailed!

I always feel as if I'm unqualified!

The best teachers (or insert any other profession, especially political office) frequently feel this way.

It gave me a chance to reflect on whether I am teaching to a level that turns out high-quality pilots.

im past 1000 dual given and i still always wonder about this one.

im past 1000 dual given and i still always wonder about this one.
All you can do is keep doing your best, never stop seeking advice from those with more experience and figuring out what you can do to make it better.

Oh, and grill the DEs to your heart's content on where you even came close to falling short on the student you just signed off. That was a huge help to me.

The DE I sent my two sign-offs to said he knew I was playing "clean up" so he was anxious to see my first student all the way through. Unfortunately, he'll only see a few I started with along with the two I finished with.

Well, I had an opportunity to fly with Ben yesterday, and I found it quite enjoyable. Had an opportunity to get into a commercial maneuver or two, and certainly kept busy with our eyes outside the cockpit! There was a lot of traffic in the practice area, and at times the G1000 showed us almost encircled! Ben's really good at going to source documents when there's a question, which I like.

Back