$500 ads-b credit

Lando

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lando
Supposedly the FAA will be announcing a $500 refund/credit program next week for 2020 compliance upgrades. I don't have all of the details, but it sounds like it will be a first come, first served program and will be well funded. Anyone have more details?

Bernie Sander's proposal is to make ADS-B compliance FREE!
Trump's proposal is to build a long, large, beautiful, big TALL wall around all airspace!
HIllary is going to have ADS-B include not just weather, but email!

Last edited:
What? No Green Party joke?

Here we go again on POA with the Dem/Rep bashing from all of you PETA hippies.

:D:p

If it wasn't funded by Congress, they can't do it. You cannot spend the people's money without Congressional approval. Anything in th budget on this?

Certainly didn't want this to get political. I heard about the rebate program from a highly reputable source...guess we'll just have to wait and see what gets announced this week.

IF...and that's a big IF there was a rebate program, it better be retro active. Otherwise you disenfranchised all the early adopters that have helped them get the program bugs worked out.

I'm waiting for the dropdead date, then shopping for an airplane - thinking a bunch of the older guys will say the heck with it. Joking aside, I thin Experimental will be the way to go - Dynon, etc.

Sweet that $500 might just cover my taxes on the equipment. LOL

Several owners that I know are waiting till the bitter end to upgrade. A few are hoping for better prices and others are hoping the FAA screws themselves and ends Jan 1 mandate.

The local radio shops are saying you should upgrade now because they are almost completely booked solid til 2020.

The local radio shops are saying you should upgrade now because they are almost completely booked solid til 2020.

I keep on hearing that, but its not true in the North East. Sure, they might be backlogged a few weeks, but it isn't YEARS....

My local shop is scheduled into Spring 2017 right now.

And nothing retroactive. That's lame. Only 20k rebates available total too.

I keep on hearing that, but its not true in the North East. Sure, they might be backlogged a few weeks, but it isn't YEARS....

It might be the more popular shops and not your one man operations in BFE.

Our shop is at least booked till 18/19. But that is only in upgrades. He's still only a few weeks in IFR certs and typical radio MX.

Same here. I too hear from our local shops that they are already booked until 2018 and then they will probably be solid through 2020.
So I wonder whether I should put my name down with our radio guy ...

If an aircraft owner purchases avionics now, could they be eligible for the rebate?

Yes, however the installation will need to occur after the program is implemented in September 2016.

Oh **** you....

I called my local shop as my plane is in avionics now. After business talk, I asked him if he saw the news. He said no. I briefed it to him and he basically said the FAA just killed his install schedule till fall and pushed the glut even further in the hole. A few cuss words and some blasphemy ended that convo.

So screw the ones who did what the FAA wanted. Screw the dealers. Screw the manufacturers who had sales for the next 6 months.

If the FAA was a business, they would have been shut down long ago. How stupid can you be?

IF...and that's a big IF there was a rebate program, it better be retro active. Otherwise you disenfranchised all the early adopters that have helped them get the program bugs worked out.

doesn't look like it.

"[FONT=FreeSans, sans-serif]The FAA will not offer rebates for software upgrades for aircraft already equipped, for new aircraft, or for aircraft for which the FAA already has paid or committed to upgrade."[/FONT]

[FONT=FreeSans, sans-serif]https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=20434[/FONT]

At the rate development is going there will be more than a 500.00 savings by waiting. Every year the price drops by several hundred dollars.

They might not have got the $500, but they got a free education on one of a million reasons why being a early adopter is not smart, thats gotta be worth at least $500 ;)

Sweet that $500 might just cover my taxes on the equipment. LOL

Several owners that I know are waiting till the bitter end to upgrade. A few are hoping for better prices and others are hoping the FAA screws themselves and ends Jan 1 mandate.

Maybe they say that to put pressure on spending you hard earned money, or maybe it's just where I live, but I could take a wad of cash and go to my shop and have it scheduled within a week, they give you crap about a waiting list, just say you wouldn't want to cause any scheduling issues and ask if they could recommend another shop, I'd wager a slot might just open up in heir calendar.

And lest we forget, lots of folks don't even NEED ADSB in the first place.

You think FAA gives a crap? LOL.

If it's not retroactive, there's gotta be a workaround.

Maybe I'll pull my new Garmin 330 transponder with its extended squitter, and pop in a borrowed 330 transponder without ES. Then reverse it.

Just like a new installation. Sort of.

Think that will work?

They might not have got the $500, but they got a free education on one of a million reasons why being a early adopter is not smart, thats gotta be worth at least $500 ;)
True. I haven't heard of any retroactive rebates before. Those who choose to buy when they buy made their choice. To regret it now is nothing but buyer's remorse.
Early adopters pride themselves on being pioneers. Well, everything comes at a cost.
FWIW, we do not know whether the rebate program will even work and for how many. That remains to be determined.

Same here. I too hear from our local shops that they are already booked until 2018 and then they will probably be solid through 2020.
So I wonder whether I should put my name down with our radio guy ...
As Unga indicated, this may be regional. When I last talked to him in the fall, my local avionics guy didn't say anything about a backlog, in fact he tried to encourage me to upgrade then. Things may have changed, but I have no reason to believe it.

This is in New England; specifically, VT.

If I'm reading this all correctly, FAA is saying only 10% of the light GA fleet have upgraded and we're seeing avionics shops in some areas booked well into 2017.

That ain't gonna work. Doesn't matter how many $500 checks they hand out.

Too bad there is a list of equipment you can put it toward... I'd like a NavWorx box..

Hadn't even looked. Does it read like a list of companies who bribe Congresscritters the best?

Not really. NavWorx has a unit ok the list, just not the EXP variant..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back