5/5

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
busy last month and a half for this CFI. Ive managed to pass a Private-ASEL, Commercial-ASEL, CFII, Private-Glider, and MEI. I was just talking a couple months ago that i only had about 10 or 12 sign offs for checkrides in 2.5 years of instruction, considered that not to be too bad for going to college at the same time. Somehow everyone came to the end of training at the same time. Im just glad that my boss (MEI) finally got the checkride coordinated with the feds. literally has been over 2 years in the making.

busy last month and a half for this CFI. Ive managed to pass a Private-ASEL, Commercial-ASEL, CFII, Private-Glider, and MEI. I was just talking a couple months ago that i only had about 10 or 12 sign offs for checkrides in 2.5 years of instruction, considered that not to be too bad for going to college at the same time. Somehow everyone came to the end of training at the same time. Im just glad that my boss (MEI) finally got the checkride coordinated with the feds. literally has been over 2 years in the making.

That's cool Tony, hope to join you soon. I have 3 of mine all going to finish
at about the same time, within the next couple of weeks. I am really nervous about that first victim.:yes: What really makes me nervous is our 1 really good DPE is out of town for 2 months which leaves me sending them to the rouge not so good one. yuk

don, im sure they'll be fine. the first one is the worst, just like that first solo.

my first was ultra nerve racking. the Archer he'd done 36 hrs in got damaged about a week before the checkride. so i transitioned him into the warrior at the nearest airport and sent him down. him and I were both leaving for college about 3 days after the checkride so a failure wouldve made a retest difficult. i was thrilled that he passed, but he was even more thrilled!

I can't even imagine signing somebody off to solo for the first time (your first time, not theirs). Looking back on my solo and my solo x-country I can't imagine how my CFI trusted me to land that damn thing by myself.:hairraise:

It takes something special to trust that the student is just ready enough to continue the journey without you. Especially when your butt and their life are both on the line.

Thanks to all of you CFIs for doing what you do.

don, im sure they'll be fine. the first one is the worst, just like that first solo.

my first was ultra nerve racking. the Archer he'd done 36 hrs in got damaged about a week before the checkride. so i transitioned him into the warrior at the nearest airport and sent him down. him and I were both leaving for college about 3 days after the checkride so a failure wouldve made a retest difficult. i was thrilled that he passed, but he was even more thrilled!

Oh, sounds like fun!! Good thing you weren't under any pressure, lol. The one good thing about our "rogue" is my boss has sent probably 40 or so students to him and knows his checkride inside and out. I have done 3 with him as well.

oh its not as hard as it looks Jason.

Doesnt sound like too much of a rogue then Don.

I can't even imagine signing somebody off to solo for the first time (your first time, not theirs). Looking back on my solo and my solo x-country I can't imagine how my CFI trusted me to land that damn thing by myself.:hairraise:

It takes something special to trust that the student is just ready enough to continue the journey without you. Especially when your butt and their life are both on the line.

Thanks to all of you CFIs for doing what you do.

It is actually pretty easy to tell when someone is ready to solo. When they handle everything you throw at them and deal with traffic as well as fly the airplane without any input from me, they are ready. I usually just sit back and pretend I am just a passenger right before and see how they handle it. However, knowing they can handle it does not keep me from being nervous when I get out.

oh its not as hard as it looks Jason.

Doesnt sound like too much of a rogue then Don.

Oh, he is a rogue Tony. Sometimes throws some tasks outside the PTS, just trying to find your breaking point. I have mentioned it here before, he had me doing my slow flight, and stalls under the hood on my private ride. My CFI freaked when he heard that. It is now in our checkride prep just in case. The only reason we use him is that for the longest time he was the only game in town:(

well, personally, i wouldnt mind him doing extra tasks, but he better not fail a student for something not on the PTS. if that happens id raise holy hell.

well, personally, i wouldnt mind him doing extra tasks, but he better not fail a student for something not on the PTS. if that happens id raise holy hell.

Agreed, don't know what he would have done if I had screwed up the slow flight and stalls. I suspect he would have had me done them the correct way.
He just really likes to push to the limit. In the end he has always been fair, I just don't like the extra pressure he puts on students. I mean the first checkride is stressful enough without that.

Glad you've been keeping busy Tony, hope your income didn't drop too much after that! So far I'm 7/7 since last July. My first solo sign-off wasn't too bad, but the real nerve-racker was the first solo cross country, I was constantly pacing around the fbo for the two hours that he was gone. Then just as I'm starting to think that he should have been back by now, he made the inbound call on the radio as I felt a huge sense of relief.

yea its usually a good idea to find something else to do while they are out on solo XCs. otherwise its just self torture

Back