4th of July

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
This one has been forwarded around for years, but it's still a good one...

> A few thoughts on the 4th of July
>
>
> Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence ? Here are some of them.........................
>
> Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died;
>
> Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned;
>
> Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured;
>
> Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War;
>
> They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
>
>
>
>
> What kind of men were they?
>
> Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.
>
> Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.
>
> Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him,
> and poverty was his reward.
>
> Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.
>
> At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.
>
> Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.
>
> John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.
>
> So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots along with the patriots who still make the sacrifices today. It's not much to ask for the price they paid or are paying.
>
> Remember: freedom is never free!.......And the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games.

> Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means,

Their motivation is what is always overlooked, they wanted the control and profit. With that many lawyers you know it couldn't last long, not 100 years later they lost control to the European investment banking oligarchy in the Civil War after the Industrial Revolution really opened up capital markets.

> Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means,

Their motivation is what is always overlooked, they wanted the control and profit. With that many lawyers you know it couldn't last long, not 100 years later they lost control to the European investment banking oligarchy in the Civil War after the Industrial Revolution really opened up capital markets.

Did you really have to pollute this thread with SZ material?

So if an aspiring actor sees a child in the street with a bus bearing down on him and he snatches the child to safety he should be pilloried by the press on the suspicion he only did it for the publicity?

The word commitment today really means, until something better comes along, or it gets too difficult. In some ways it's sad that so few of us have had our character tested to that level. Give me some leadership with real commitment and sacrifice.

Good post, Good thoughts for the 4th.

The word "hero" today is given to anyone that picks up a scrap piece of paper or opens a door for someone.

Nice. While you sit on your "brain" thinking up negative stuff about our country (on it's birthday no less) to fulfill your shock jock reputation the least you could do is thank the men who died and sacrificed all for your freedom. Gratitude is not your strong suit is it. :no:

Your constant regurgitation of the crap you learned in "Liberal 101" is getting old. You need new material. :yesnod:

;)

Last edited:
Gang lets not let this thread degrade. One of the many great things about our country is that it allows people to dissent, mock and express opposing viewpoints. It also allows us not to get sucked in by them so to that end I say G-d Bless America and I still rather live here than anywhere else. Our forefathers had some serious fortitude and courage, Washington, Jefferson, Adams and others were brilliant, courageous and disagreed vehemently with each other yet they formed one hell of a nation.

Today we celebrate out nation's 236th birthday. And while we are a young nation we are no longer, I fear, the nation of limitless promise we once were.

I think a large part of the problem can be attributed to intellectual laziness on the part of a majority of the population. Democracy requires an engaged and informed electorate, and in these times where "news" networks exist for generation of profit rather than dispassionate neutral fact reporting, it requires individuals to seek out and balance information on their own.

In addition, leadership has changed from the hands of selfless public servants to the hands of self serving demigods in search of power and self-promotion over the public good. Even if we were to put the helm over now, it will take a while for the ship to turn. And there are rocks ahead.

Both the far Right and the far Left seem more focused on petty victories than promoting the general welfare of the nation as a whole. We face critical issues in this electoral cycle, and yet both sides seem intent on making the conversation about sideshow politics and gotchas over substantive discussion of the critical matters facing our country.

Consequently neither side speaks to the majority in the middle who recognize the vital need for compromise if the nation is to recover from our dire financial situation. We're all in the same boat. We either bail together, or sink together.

I ask all my friends to think about this today. Look at your gathered families, the young especially, and ask if they deserve the world we have created through division and partisan bickering.

This is politically charged propaganda material and should have been placed in Spin Zone to begin with, that is not my fault.

happy 4th!

rant: someone hit the reset button (which may be Dec 21) - bring back the 50s where leave it to beaver and the andy griffith show set the tone for society! what's to be expected when the populous idolizes the cast of jersey shore and 'I killed my best friend' has a plethora of stories to air.

enjoy the 4th!

Honestly, politics bores me. I find it hard to get upset over Internet postings, particularly if they aren't personal.

But the Sac Arrow will grill a burger and raise a bottle of Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc to the nation's birthday! Woo hoo!!

Honestly, politics bores me. I find it hard to get upset over Internet postings, particularly if they aren't personal.

But the Sac Arrow will grill a burger and raise a bottle of Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc to the nation's birthday! Woo hoo!!

Untitled.jpg

Gang lets not let this thread degrade. One of the many great things about our country is that it allows people to dissent, mock and express opposing viewpoints. It also allows us not to get sucked in by them so to that end I say G-d Bless America and I still rather live here than anywhere else. Our forefathers had some serious fortitude and courage, Washington, Jefferson, Adams and others were brilliant, courageous and disagreed vehemently with each other yet they formed one hell of a nation.

+1

:D

:goofy: Happy Birthday America! :goofy:

:cheers::rollercoaster::happydance::wonderwoman: :cheers:

To be fair, Henning is partially right. Politicians were often self-selected business people who made a lot of money prior to politics, because politicians weren't paid back then.

Certainly not ones willing to throw off the oppression of the Crown.

Many of our "founding fathers" we're pretty sleazy by today's standards, but we have a difficult time judging their behavior by the standards of their day.

Having your family hunted down to be hanged or having to tell an Army general to shell your home because the enemy is using it as their base of operations is still the same in this time as in theirs.

Propaganda? No. Just history. Political? Well, yes Virginia, most revolutions are. And the holiday is celebrating a revolution. Kinda hard to say the founding of a country belongs in the Spin Zone.

It isn't Pilots of The Giant British Colony after all...

Back