4th of July, Fireworks flight

Mike5250

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike5250
I'm sure there are a few others here who have seen fireworks from above. I'm thinking about taking a flight July 4th night to check it out. Any suggestions?
I hear they don't go more than 500-1000 AGL so normal flight rules should be safe. At night I prefer to be at least 2000 AGL unless I am along the coast or another airport.

I'll also try to get on flight following if Philly approach isn't too busy.

I'm sure there are a few others here who have seen fireworks from above. I'm thinking about taking a flight July 4th night to check it out. Any suggestions?
I hear they don't go more than 500-1000 AGL so normal flight rules should be safe. At night I prefer to be at least 2000 AGL unless I am along the coast or another airport.

I'll also try to get on flight following if Philly approach isn't too busy.

I was going to do this, too, but heard it would not be that cool. I guess they look better from below than from above, and part of the appeal is that popping noise - which can't be heard from an airplane.

I'm glad you started this thread; my location (SF Bay Area) has several good shows I might be able to fly near. I'm interested to see the replies. I'm going to an airport event on Saturday too, so I'll ask all the pilots there about this to get their input.

Mike and Kim it is not worth it. I've been in the air and saw fireworks its really not a spectical at all. Firworks are one of those things that are designed to be viewed from the ground and they are a hundred times better when viewed from the ground than the air.

I personally found it fairly disappointing. The ground as a backdrop isn't nearly as clear or contrasting as the sky and the fireworks can be washed out by ground light. On the other hand it gives you a somewhat greater "3D" view of some of the stuff. Its worth having a look for yourself.

Frank

I personally found it fairly disappointing. The ground as a backdrop isn't nearly as clear or contrasting as the sky and the fireworks can be washed out by ground light. On the other hand it gives you a somewhat greater "3D" view of some of the stuff. Its worth having a look for yourself.

Frank

Some places around here set fireworks off over water. In that case it might help with the problem you are stating.

It looks like they have 10 or so shows within 10 miles so finding them won't be tough. Still might give it a try but won't expect too much!

The only time fireworks have every looked ok from an airplane is when I was on final for landing and they were in the distance and above me. They do not look nice from above.

I saw some the other night, thought it was pretty cool, was just above it on my way to enter downwind. But I feel that everything's better from the air.

The only time fireworks have every looked ok from an airplane is when I was on final for landing and they were in the distance and above me. They do not look nice from above.

Yes but night flight where I am is gorgeous on its own. A little extra color won't hurt. Besides, any time I get to fly is a good time. Not sure if I would care if the fireworks were a let down.

The problem with fireworks from the air is an issue of distance. When you view them from the ground you're less than half a mile away. That's like half a runway. From the air they are a few miles away. If you get really high in a dense area you can often see several shows, but still, each one is going to be 10+ miles away.

They look like little colored things from the air. If you've never done it then go do it and see for yourself. But be ready for a let down. It's one of those things that sounds great on paper but doesn't work out so well in application.

Yes but night flight where I am is gorgeous on its own. A little extra color won't hurt. Besides, any time I get to fly is a good time. Not sure if I would care if the fireworks were a let down.

Sounds like you have an excuse to see for yourself. :)

Sounds like you have an excuse to see for yourself. :)

Yeah but I am already going to one event at my airport and not sure if I can find any passengers for later that day. It is a 30 - 45 min drive each way to the airport - so to go back at night would mean FOUR trips in one day. Seems silly. Plus it doesn't get dark until pretty late and I have to be at work the next day.

Every year this is a not to missed flight around here. It looks like a freaking war zone. The entire city is engulfed in smoke, and fireworks are non stop from sunset to 1am. Not to be missed if I have no family stuff.

The other problem with flying at night on July 4th is it cuts in to my drinking time.

Some places around here set fireworks off over water. In that case it might help with the problem you are stating.

Still disappointing ove water I've done that no difference.

Then if your not flying to see the FW it won't matter, if your flying for the purpose of being in awe of the FW then it will matter.

Now I'm wondering if a bunch of plane lights (ours) will make the people on the ground have a crappier viewing experience.

As part of a foursone about 8 years back we celebrated the 4th from the rotating restaurant on the 72nd? floor of the Atlanta Peachtree Weston.

For most of the meal, we saw firworks across the greater city out to the horizon. Then we got lucky and were facing the plaza when they launched their own fireworks show. It seemed like they were going off right at eye level. It was truly spectacular.

I've done it a couple of times and enjoyed it. The way I look at it, you take a pleasant evening/nightime flight in an airplane, and add fireworks.

So, you can't hear them go off, but you don't have to deal with crowds, traffic jams, finding a parking place, or mosquitos.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fireworks.jpg
    fireworks.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 85

You and I both agree on that. The problem is when you set an expectation for your non-pilot passenger about how cool it would be to see the fireworks from the air.

Two or three years ago I took my bride up for the 4th. It was a beautiful sunset flight up to Oshkosh, and on the return I expected to be wowed about the fireworks. It looked like little Nat Geo's high speed films of a flower opening up, but viewed by quite a distance.

Also, at least in the Midwest, a lot of municipalities are warning that they may cancel fireworks due to the extremely dry conditions we have right now.

Back