4810 in 365 Days (Great CONUS Challenge)

JRitt said:
Sounds like as good a reason as any to see the countryside by air. I can do the western half of KY and TN around 70 in a month of weekends maybe a few more. I'll bet I could drag Kevin along for som PIC time also

Joe, no need to drag, I'll be there with bells on (just listen for the jingle:D )

Nick,

I'm in. Just please keep the authentication simple, I'm stupid.

Joe

SkyHog said:
I deleted some heliports...wonder if thats it. Lemme count them up

Nick,

I'm not sure how tough this would be, but...

For the WI airport challenge, a few airports were removed from the list despite being public, due to safety concerns. We didn't want to encourage someone to go into an obstructed 1200' grass strip when they probably wouldn't be up to the task without a lot of instruction and practice.

We might want to restrict it to slightly larger fields... ? :dunno:

In other words: As much as I would love to land at the Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport, well...

48U comments said:
dirt, in poor condition
ROUGH; DEBRIS FULL LENGTH OF RY; BROKEN BOTTLES & FIREWORKS DEBRIS
RY SOFT WHEN WET. DEEP RUTS & TALL GRASS FULL LENGTH OF RY.
ARPT ON TOP OF MOUNTAIN; LAND DESCENDS VERY STEEPLY FROM RWY ENDS.
NO LINE OF SIGHT BTN RWY ENDS.
UNCONTROLLED VEHICLE ACCESS.
+3 FT BERM NEAR RY EDGES ENTIRE LENGTH OF RY.

:hairraise:

flyingcheesehead said:
In other words: As much as I would love to land at the Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport, well...
:hairraise:
Wow indeed. I'll leave that one to Henning in his tundra-tire Super Cub!

-Skip

Yeah - once the website launches, there will be a way to request airports be removed from the list. There are a few in NM that are gonna have to come off too, because they're simply too rutted out or whatnot.

I gotta say tho - it'd be neat to have that airport in my logbook. Can I borrow someone else's plane for a day?

So... When do we start? :D

I'm hoping we can get this going by September or so, so that I have time to make things count for both the Wiscsonsin Airport Challenge and the Great CONUS Challenge!

flyingcheesehead said:
So... When do we start? :D

I'm hoping we can get this going by September or so, so that I have time to make things count for both the Wiscsonsin Airport Challenge and the Great CONUS Challenge!
That's what I'm wondering too.... and I might just go ahead and claim northwest SC as my area :D

Ok guys - I'm waiting to see how long the website takes to set up. We'll have to test it and whatnot too to make sure everything works ok. I'll let y'all know soon when it starts!

I'm glad to see the enthusiasm!

I haven't seen anything that says these landings have to be in an airplane. Are helicopters OK? For one thing it's a lot easier and cheaper to land a helo at LAX than an avgas burning airplane. Also many of the problem airports mentioned would also be doable.

Just wondering.

Joe

Areeda said:
I haven't seen anything that says these landings have to be in an airplane. Are helicopters OK? For one thing it's a lot easier and cheaper to land a helo at LAX than an avgas burning airplane. Also many of the problem airports mentioned would also be doable.

Just wondering.

Joe

I don't see why not, as long as its flown Part 91 or 135.

Nick,

Can you give us an idea when this is going to start?

I've got a good trip coming up in a couple of weeks (dinner will be on me in Albuquerque this time if you have time) and a bunch of students ready for cross country.

It would be nice to start while the weather is good.

BTW what about duplicates?

Joe

I really like the idea, but I hate the fact that the airport visits need to be authenticated. Given that much of aviation already operates on the honor system, I just don't see the need to add rules and make this more complicated than it needs to be. It's not like there is anything at stake. It's a pretty pathetic person who feels the need to cheat at something like this.

I feel like I get enough demands for authentication at work and every time I go flying I already have to jump through what feels like a thousand hoops, and I really don't want to add any more to that which I do for fun.

I'd love to participate, but until the need to authenticate airports is dropped, count me out.

Duplicates are cool, but the idea is to visit every one, so the idea is to claim the airport once. Duplicates aren't gonna be claims, but what the heck, we can use pictures and updated info, ya know?

I really wish you'd join in Rob, we can use as much help as possible. BTW - I've heard just as many people say "I won't participate unless there's some sort of verification" as I've heard otherwise. I don't get why its such a big deal either way, but why not just snap a picture?

edit: actually, I'll use a poll to determine the general consensus. That will be the final decision.

Last edited:
alaskaflyer said:
So why not Alaska :dunno: I feel gypped. Three members, 380 or so airports...what's the prob?

Well...that's a lot of airports for 3 people. Also - its my understanding that of the 3 people, at least one is limited as to which ones she can land at, meaning many of the airports would likely go unfulfilled.

I'd love to add Alaska, but I feel we can suceed at doing the lower 48. Do you think, honestly, that we can get Alaska and possibly Hawaii done as well? If so - then we'll do it. But I'd hate to add them and then fail, you know? What say you?

Also - it is completely my intention to do a whole bunch of airports far away to help out outside of New Mexico, even pulling slack in places where there are no active pilots. While I'd love to see Alaska, I know I can't make it up there within the next year, so it really would be up to you guys!

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
Duplicates are cool, but the idea is to visit every one, so the idea is to claim the airport once. Duplicates aren't gonna be claims, but what the heck, we can use pictures and updated info, ya know?

I really wish you'd join in Rob, we can use as much help as possible. BTW - I've heard just as many people say "I won't participate unless there's some sort of verification" as I've heard otherwise. I don't get why its such a big deal either way, but why not just snap a picture?

edit: actually, I'll use a poll to determine the general consensus. That will be the final decision.
Thanks for your consideration Nick.
I already voted....

(I actually don't own a digital camera, and my girlfriend is getting pretty sick of lending me hers.)

alaskaflyer said:
So why not Alaska :dunno: I feel gypped. Three members, 380 or so airports...what's the prob?
Why not make Alaska and Hawaii bonus areas? We are planning a December vacation in HI and plan to rent a C-172 (or 2) for family fun.
- Aunt Peggy

Last edited:
James_Dean said:
When are we starting?

James Dean
Soon, amigo, soon. We're working on the infrastructure of the website (rather, I'm not doing any work, just standing back and watching Chip work his magic).

You guys will be the first to know.

Any idea about a start date yet?

Weather permiting (yeah I know, I'm dreaming) I'm planning a literal cross country next month. It would be a good chance to get a few airports claimed.

Only 80 airports in Arizona? You can count me in for the Grand Canyon State!

Is it correct that we get a whole year to complete this mission?

If so that should be plenty of time!

Back