48 down - 2 to go

You changed your permanent address for a week when you were based in Alaska and Hilo? Did you contact your insurance company for your airplane and tell them your home base changed from wherever it is to Alaska, or Hawaii. List your residence as Alaska and Hawaii for a week on your 1040?

"Based" is where I usually keep my airplane when I'm not flying it. I wasn't aware that it had anything to do with my 1040 form or my insurance company information. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ed I get it that you have this really specific idea about the only way to interpret this map thing. Please forgive me if I found that amusing enough to engage you on it.

It's impressive that you would keep track. :eek:

once men start to get Ed's age taking a leak after each full stop landing becomes necessity. So there is 48 states. I doubt it took much thought to remember the 49th

So now I'm "stupid" and a "mouth foaming imbecile" because I happen to have a slightly different interpretation of "the map" than you? I'm wondering about what was in Ed's cheerios myself.

For the record, I've not disparaged your interpretation of the map and even said it sounds like a reasonable use of it - if it floats your boat. I'll be anxiously waiting on that trip report to Hawaii and what I really can't wait to hear is if you just bought a candy bar in the FBO and started back for home or if you actually did some aviating there (OK, maybe that's disparaging it a little :))

If you believe that driving around the country equals flying around the country then yes, you are the former. If you also believe that going on vacation constitutes moving, then yes, you are the latter. I look at it like the person that claims they played in the NFL. Then you find out they actually only attended an NFL game, and before the game they got to go out on the field of play. Stepping on the field of play before the game, that does not make you an NFL player. Just like riding in an aluminum tube does not constitute you flying to Hawaii.

once men start to get Ed's age taking a leak after each full stop landing becomes necessity. So there is 48 states. I doubt it took much thought to remember the 49th

Over 1/2 of them I peed in before I was age 18. :D

Although, on second thought, it may only be 47 because I don't think I peed in Nebraska. I also learned my lesson on my long student cross country whenever you stop, go pee. I am not going to get stuck in a hold and have to make a mad dash for the FBO on landing again.

Last edited:
So, there I was - ready to issue a pat on the back for something that I consider to be a pretty nifty feat (not because it's so difficult; but, more because it requires a bit of gumption to get off one's duff and spend a bit of time and money carousing about our fair country [oh, and maybe because I just happen to think it's kind of neat])... But, this ****ing match? Really!?

(I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I've learned that this is the way it is - at least amongst Internet pilots.)

I still think it's neat. And, neater yet (would that be niftier?) that Ed is actually planning to fly TO Alaska and Hawaii - BZ for that.

So... :cheerswine: cheers to Ed for adventures had thus far and best wishes on future adventures!
And, maybe I'll even buy you a beer the next time I see you (and am not planning to climb right back into the cockpit).

What beer? You'll forget it at home again! :rofl:

If you believe that driving around the country equals flying around the country then yes, you are the former. If you also believe that going on vacation constitutes moving, then yes, you are the latter. I look at it like the person that claims they played in the NFL. Then you find out they actually only attended an NFL game, and before the game they got to go out on the field of play. Stepping on the field of play before the game, that does not make you an NFL player. Just like riding in an aluminum tube does not constitute you flying to Hawaii.

I never said I flew to Alaska but I did get a pretty good idea of what it's like to be a bush pilot on floats there while getting my rating. See, I personally think you've got your analogy backward and that if you fly there just to say you landed there you're the one that's posing as a "well traveled" aviator whereas someone who actually spent time learning the special skills of flying in Alaska and Hawaii is more worthy of starting a thread and bragging about it.

Don't get me wrong, I think one of the most confidence inspiring things you can do as a newbie pilot is to plan and fly a XC where you're headed farther away from home after your first fuel stop. It's definitely a thing to be proud of and to track and I'll say it again, your rationale is a fine one if that's what makes you happy. Apparently it also makes you happy to be vitriolic to those that just happen to have dissimilar views to your own. Disagreeing with your criteria certainly wasn't why I jumped in to this thread to begin with as I didn't know (or really care) how you account for your travels. I suspect there are probably other opinions out there as well that make those pilots happy also and that's cool too.

Maybe once you've actually flown around the two states you're missing you might have a better idea of the notion I'm discussing. Either way, you'll have definitely earned some serious experience bragging rights if you make that hop to/from Hawaii. I look forward to reading about it here someday.

So now I'm "stupid" and a "mouth foaming imbecile" because I happen to have a slightly different interpretation of "the map" than you? I'm wondering about what was in Ed's cheerios myself.

For the record, I've not disparaged your interpretation of the map and even said it sounds like a reasonable use of it - if it floats your boat. I'll be anxiously waiting on that trip report to Hawaii and what I really can't wait to hear is if you just bought a candy bar in the FBO and started back for home or if you actually did some aviating there (OK, maybe that's disparaging it a little :))

I don't know about you but flying a single to hawaii sounds very, very stupid to me. But I would love to watch that on flight aware and listen to the story.

Last edited:
You're right, all of my flying around counts for nothing. I should have just flown commerical to all 50 states, walked to an aiport, sat in the plane and made airplane noises. Then I could be as "well traveled" as you.

I don't know about you but flying a single to hawaii sounds very, very stupid to me. But I would love to watch that on flight aware and listen to the story.

Won't happen. I'll have better things to do than share that story here.

Won't happen. I'll have better things to do than share that story here.

Yeah right! Why do you care so much about how the states are colored in if you don't like to brag. Come on man. What you have done is very cool in my book. What you are going to do is just crazy in my book. Not crazy in a good way. Caring how other people color in their states also not cool. Some of us don't have the kind of time you have.

Last edited:

Now that right there is hilarious! :rofl:

Ed, you live too close to the geographic center of the contiguous states. You will never cut it compared to someone who lives out on the edges and who has flown about the country. I think you will have to handicap about five states for that unfair advantage over someone from, say, Florida or Oregon.

You're right, all of my flying around counts for nothing. I should have just flown commerical to all 50 states, walked to an aiport, sat in the plane and made airplane noises. Then I could be as "well traveled" as you.

Hey, don't mock the "sitting in the airplane and making airplane noises" thing. Go on - admit it. We all do it. And now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I've sat in an airplane making airplane noises in my other two states so I'll go color them in now.

It suddenly dawned on me why I've spent so much time interacting with you in this thread! It's because you remind me so much of my 5 year old! Too funny... :D

Ed, you live too close to the geographic center of the contiguous states. You will never cut it compared to someone who lives out on the edges and who has flown about the country. I think you will have to handicap about five states for that unfair advantage over someone from, say, Florida or Oregon.

Perhaps, but what if you did the whole thing? Like, LA to New York in one day in a piston twin, despite living in... say... Pennsylvania? ;)

Back