47yro with 2600hrs CMEI What now?

bjkirby2000

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bj
I've wanted to post for a few months but really didn't want to get hit in the jaw with negativity about the industry. There seems to be an awful lot of disgruntled pilots here. I just want to sit up front and take a look around and say, "..and they pay me to do this"! With that said-PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING before beating me down.

I've taken the immediate following text from Jason on another thread. "Let's concentrate on helping each other. Let's stop nitpicking. Let's stop interjecting opinions when they're not likely to be welcomed. Let's keep threads on topic.

Hey, a guy can dream...right?" __________Jason"

NOW - I've been flying for 25 years, 2,650 hours PIC. I've been passionate about flying for a living since I moved to Florida from Oklahoma in 1983. I have raised two children and I am proud to say that one of them is in the USMC. Now, I have a little jingle even after owning a Lancair, a few Cessnas and two Smith Miniplanes (that proves I'm a manager-if nothing else). I think I can finally afford to fly for a living.

All of the old guys in my airpark are telling me that any of the operators would love to have me because I'm not some "clickety-click, keyboard cowboy" kid fresh out of flight school. I've got the 430 down and have learned how to turn knobs and read the data boxes. I know how to read weather and I know the regs. I'm short on multi-time and refuse to do the instructor route (I'm too late for that and getting older by the minute). Give me realistic encouragement and your ideas for progressing-quickly.:mad2:

Last edited:
What is it that you want to do? Doesn't sound like you have much in the way of limitations.

Are your friends who are offering the free career advice actively holding flying jobs similar to those you are seeking? Or are they just supporting a friend by telling him what he wants to hear? Have any of them offered specific advice relative to potential employers?

Back