430W vs 430 STC for 172

Flybo01

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flyby30
hi guys

Not sure how true this is but 2 avionics guys are telling me that If I want a 430 in my 172, I must have the 430W because the regular 430 does not have an STC for a 172, I will need an FAA inspector to do the blessing. Instead if I get the 430W is just installation and sign off by the avionics shop....my head is spinning on this....is it true? 430w is 2k more money and I ready don’t care about was approaches.

Never heard this BS before.... however if u don’t care about WAAS approach, why go with that archaic gps? Are you VFR only? Then just use iThing , if so want to fly ILS and stuff, get a nav com and tie it to a gi 106 and call it a day

I am getting 2 G5’s for attitude/heading and SL 40. For primary Nav/GPS I want the 430 linked to my G5 but just never heard that with these options I need to have wass...I am also doing the stratus ADS-B....trying to crunch my budget and a 430W is another 2k....my head is spinning.

I am getting 2 G5’s for attitude/heading and SL 40. For primary Nav/GPS I want the 430 linked to my G5 but just never heard that with these options I need to have wass...I am also doing the stratus ADS-B....trying to crunch my budget and a 430W is another 2k....my head is spinning.
just note that if you dont have a WAAS source you have to install one for the G5, thats not 2k however ..

hi guys

Not sure how true this is but 2 avionics guys are telling me that If I want a 430 in my 172, I must have the 430W because the regular 430 does not have an STC for a 172, I will need an FAA inspector to do the blessing. Instead if I get the 430W is just installation and sign off by the avionics shop....my head is spinning on this....is it true? 430w is 2k more money and I ready don’t care about was approaches.
The 430 is not STC’ed, so it would require a field approval. The 430W is STC’ed, so it just needs a 337 with the preapproved STC. There is the option to do a logbook entry install to replace another Nav/Com, but you would have to placard “GNS430 GPS for VFR use only”, and not be able to file /G.

Also, the 430 is no longer supported. If you need service, you have to upgrade it to the 430W.

Back