430W IFR tutorial?

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
I'm doing the 10-day instrument training starting in about a week, and am a little apprehensive that I should be higher up the learning curve on my 430W than I am. I've never had reason to play with the IFR-related features before....

I plan to curl up with the owner's manual and the Garmin 430W simulator app on my laptop over the next few days and play around with that stuff, but I'm wondering if there's a more effective way I should approach it.

Anyone have any recommendations? Any tutorials or training tools I should consider?

Thanks!

I'm pretty busy this weekend but have some time next week. If you'd like we could probably do a remote training session where I could cover it with you.

I just used the sim a LOT until it became fairly natural. Jesse can attest to the fact that my comfort level with the 430 changed fairly drastically in about a weeks worth of sim usage.

The sim does a pretty good job. Get very familiar with loading, activating and deleting PROCedures; the FPL page is a good place for this. For IFR training you'll be doing a lot of approaches in a row; which isn't really the way it is in real life. Typically you use the "D"irect key to select the airport then the PROC key to pick the approach. As you'll be going missed alot use the sim to see what the OBS key does to you. Use the sim to learn how to load the next procedure quickly once you've gone sequenced to the missed.

I recommend a good kneeboard and briefing the approaches you plan to fly prior to starting the engines.

I did the 10 day thing many years ago. If the instructor doesn't work for you punt quickly; they will send another. Don't waste 10 days with a guy you don't click with.

I plan to curl up with the owner's manual and the Garmin 430W simulator app on my laptop over the next few days and play around with that stuff, but I'm wondering if there's a more effective way I should approach it.

I did this and it worked out really well. My CFII commented that I seemed very comfortable using it. Getting it to do what you want is mostly just about knowing what it can/can't do and figuring out where everything in the menu is located. I think you'll find you pick it up faster than you expect.

I also had access to a hardware version of the 430W simulator with all the knobs and buttons. That helped as using the mouse to turn everything is a bit artifical. But if you know how to do everything, it shouldn't take long to get used to using the buttons instead of a mouse.

I did this and it worked out really well. My CFII commented that I seemed very comfortable using it. Getting it to do what you want is mostly just about knowing what it can/can't do and figuring out where everything in the menu is located. I think you'll find you pick it up faster than you expect.

I also had access to a hardware version of the 430W simulator with all the knobs and buttons. That helped as using the mouse to turn everything is a bit artifical. But if you know how to do everything, it shouldn't take long to get used to using the buttons instead of a mouse.

You can actually use keyboard shortcuts to do most things in the sim.

arrows (up down left right) do the big and small dials. Space bar pushes in on the dial. M=menu P=PROC F=FPL etc....

Many thanks to all responders--much appreciated. My local pilot shop has the Max Tresscott book, so I may go grab a copy. Sounds like between that and playing around with the Garmin simulator, I should be in pretty good shape.

Jesse: Many thanks for the offer! I think I'll try the do-it-yourself approach, but I definitely appreciate your response.

AggieMike88: I'm using PIC, and the instructor lives in Dallas, so if you went that route you'd probably get the same guy. I'll try to give a pirep or two as I go through or after it's over.

The simulator on the garmin page is a lot of help. Download it and just practice loading approaches

What is this anomaly of which you speak?

Thanks. I did a little bit of that over the weekend, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Also picked up the Max Trescott book, and while it might not have been necessary, it's been helpful. I have benefitted from his explanations that show multiple ways to do the same thing, usually with a recommendation for one method with some rationale. ("You'll normally start from this page, so it's easier to go this route to get to the page you want," or "This way saves a button press and is more intuitive," etc.)

What is this anomaly of which you speak?

Perhaps poor wording on my part. What I meant was a hardware control interface designed to match the 430W's controls. It used the software from garmin, but was controlled by the interface instead of a mouse/keyboard. The one I used was part of larger flight simulator, but I was just using it to learn the 430. I found the interface more helpful than using the mouse, but I don't think that alone is worth the money to buy an interface.

Examples for the 430:
https://www.flyelite.com/?page_id=953&shopp_pid=44
http://flypfc.com/?/products/avionics/pfc-430w-control-interface/

On these, the display is remoted to the computer screen rather than being where it normally is on the 430.

Thanks. I did a little bit of that over the weekend, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Also picked up the Max Trescott book, and while it might not have been necessary, it's been helpful. I have benefitted from his explanations that show multiple ways to do the same thing, usually with a recommendation for one method with some rationale. ("You'll normally start from this page, so it's easier to go this route to get to the page you want," or "This way saves a button press and is more intuitive," etc.)

Some of the issues that came up for me (instrument rating last august) when working with the 530 is to know and understand the steps to add delete waypoints from the flightplan pages. ATC ammends routes often and having the buttonology down pat makes life easy. There is also a 430 hints and tips video by avweb on you tube that you can watch....every little bit helps.

Know your equipment and you'll do just fine! Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Back