430W Database Info

Timothy Burchett

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Can the 430W hold the nav database for the whole United States? If not, where is the cutoff between East and West? Could I fly from Virginia to Colorado on one nav database, or would I need to swap mid flight? Thanks.

The GNS-430W will currently hold the entire USA database. In all its 16 MB(!) of memory. The Garmin data packages are cheaper than Jepp, at least they were 2 years ago when I switched. You can get the entire USA data for $299/yr from Garmin, and I was paying more than that for the Eastern US only with Jepp. The E-W cutoff IIRC extends to TX, OK, KS, NE, SD, ND. The W data includes LA, AR, MO, IA, MN.

Thanks for the info! Any of you load the database with the adapter from a Mac?

Garmin GNS-430W database updates using their card programmer requires Windows, I believe. I don't think it will work in a VM, either, but maybe that has changed. I think the Jepp JDM software and the Skybound adapter will work with MacOS, but their databases are almost twice as expensive.

Garmin GNS-430W database updates using their card programmer requires Windows, I believe. I don't think it will work in a VM, either, but maybe that has changed

Sorry, old necro-thread here, but figured I'd post here instead of opening a new thread. We have a new-to-us 430w installed in the panel and just bought the US nav data from Garmin for $299 (NOT the JEPP). I was able to install the Fly Garmin Desktop to my Macbook Pro. I don't have the card from the 430w here at home, so I am unable to get much farther. When I click on the Launch Fly Garmin Desktop button, it launches, but then obviously can't find the Aviation Data Card (since it is still in the plane). I am planning to bring my laptop and phone for hotspot to the plane tomorrow along with the Garmin Card Programmer I bought from Spruce.

Anybody have any clue what I can expect using the Fly Garmin Desktop on a Macbook Pro with the 430w card? Will this work or am I going to have to use a Windows laptop?

(I do have a windows 10 laptop, but my kid has it at her aunt's house where she is staying until she gets home tomorrow afternoon.... after I want to update this card!)

Just in case anyone wants to update their 430w Garmin card with Garmin nav data using the latest Fly Garmin Desktop for Mac on a MacBook Pro and the Garmin USB programmer - it works fine. And pretty fast.

Took my MacBook out to the plane this mornin, connected to my iPhone hotspot (4G), plugged in the programmer with the Garmin card inserted and it took about five minutes to load the latest nav data.

hope this helps someone trying to do the same.

Garmin's motto.

Their other motto - "Our stuff works great together. But if you use anything other than Garmin and try to use it with Garmin stuff, you are SOL. So go buy more Garmin stuff."

Back