430W Aquisition Failure

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Went flying today and had a problem with my Garmin 430W. It refused to acquire any satellites.

The last time I flew it had this problem once, I power cycled it and it worked. I just figured it was an initialization issue then as the GPS worked without any problem for the next three hours. But this time all I got after several power cycles was that it was attemptign to acquire GPS satellite signal. At no time did it ever lock into even one single sat. On the constellation page I had the following:

TER TEST with a white background
ENR with a black background
INTEG with a yellow background.

No errors ever popped up, although once I was advised to check the GPS antenna. Radios worked fine from what I could tell. I suspect something in the GPS antenna line.

Anything else I should check before I call the tech?

Went flying today and had a problem with my Garmin 430W. It refused to acquire any satellites.

The last time I flew it had this problem once, I power cycled it and it worked. I just figured it was an initialization issue then as the GPS worked without any problem for the next three hours. But this time all I got after several power cycles was that it was attemptign to acquire GPS satellite signal. At no time did it ever lock into even one single sat. On the constellation page I had the following:

TER TEST with a white background
ENR with a black background
INTEG with a yellow background.

No errors ever popped up, although once I was advised to check the GPS antenna. Radios worked fine from what I could tell. I suspect something in the GPS antenna line.

Anything else I should check before I call the tech?

A common problem is the pre-amp inside the antenna breaking into oscillation. Another symptom of this behavior is that a portable GPS will also be unable to see sats if the portable's antenna is near the 430's.

A common problem is the pre-amp inside the antenna breaking into oscillation. Another symptom of this behavior is that a portable GPS will also be unable to see sats if the portable's antenna is near the 430's.

I've replaced my GNS530W antenna twice in the past four years for this issue. I think this is a bigger safety and reliability problem then Garmin will admit. I've heard the antenna is made by a 3rd party.

Very interesting that you said this. My portable GPS was also have a heck of a time getting sat coverage.

When I first read the subject line I thought you were talking about my avionics budget! ;)

I can confirm that Lance got it right. It was the antenna and it was the preamp.

After he posted this I knew that he was probably right. The tech verified that it was not a connector but that we did have the antenna until yesterday. He installed at I am back to being operational.

He is going to check with Garmin to see if there are any possibilities to claim warranty.

I can confirm that Lance got it right. It was the antenna and it was the preamp.

After he posted this I knew that he was probably right. The tech verified that it was not a connector but that we did have the antenna until yesterday. He installed at I am back to being operational.

He is going to check with Garmin to see if there are any possibilities to claim warranty.

Well, Garmin is at AOPA Summit, so I can raise a public stink if you want! :)

Back