430W approach fail inside FAF RNAV 33 KFNL

Landing Fees

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Landing Fees
Instructing last week and we were flying approaches in the thunder turd (Arrow). On the RNAV 33, inside the FAF the 430W said to abort the approach. Anybody else have this experience at FNL? This 430 is quirky, it loses navigation during taxi, after reboot it is fine until you land, then it loses its fix again but by then who cares.

This has happened with my airplane (530W) but we were able to continue the approach by flipping over to the ILS. In fact I think I have seen this RNAV failure a few others times but I don't recall the dates.

Instructing last week and we were flying approaches in the thunder turd (Arrow). On the RNAV 33, inside the FAF the 430W said to abort the approach. Anybody else have this experience at FNL? This 430 is quirky, it loses navigation during taxi, after reboot it is fine until you land, then it loses its fix again but by then who cares.

This has happened with my airplane (530W) but we were able to continue the approach by flipping over to the ILS. In fact I think I have seen this RNAV failure a few others times but I don't recall the dates.

Will let you know if I run into it. I’ve heard there’s interference for one of the approaches that’s really consistent over at FTG, but don’t make it up to FNL often enough to know.

Maybe wander up there with the GTN soon and let you know if it does anything wonky.

I assume this was VMC practice... I don’t think I’d be flipping to the green needles during the approach up there in actual, just go missed... unless you’re out of gas or something worse than going missed. ;)

Gas is expensive at Metro

I assume this was VMC practice... I don’t think I’d be flipping to the green needles during the approach up there in actual, just go missed... unless you’re out of gas or something worse than going missed.

Will let you know if I run into it. I’ve heard there’s interference for one of the approaches that’s really consistent over at FTG, but don’t make it up to FNL often enough to know.

Maybe wander up there with the GTN soon and let you know if it does anything wonky.

I assume this was VMC practice... I don’t think I’d be flipping to the green needles during the approach up there in actual, just go missed... unless you’re out of gas or something worse than going missed. ;)
FTG 26 departure, I lose GPS at the departure end at about 400 ft.

FTG 26 departure, I lose GPS at the departure end at about 400 ft.
Have you ever talked to off-hours CD at FTG and told them you intend to depart 26 on an IFR clearance? I’ve never heard such a commotion from ATC. I thought for a second I’d ask the Pope to convert to being a Muslim or something. Anyway I departed 26...ATC did give me a bad time later when I flew within a few miles of the sacred 30 mile POTUS space. I was own nav IFR headed into the hills so I mostly ignored’em.

Anyway, it’s exceedingly rare to depart 26 on a clearance so a GPS fail from the NEXRAD antenna (or whatever is causing it) prolly doesn’t matter much.

Have you ever talked to off-hours CD at FTG and told them you intend to depart 26 on an IFR clearance? I’ve never heard such a commotion from ATC. I thought for a second I’d ask the Pope to convert to being a Muslim or something. Anyway I departed 26...ATC did give me a bad time later when I flew within a few miles of the sacred 30 mile POTUS space. I was own nav IFR headed into the hills so I mostly ignored’em.

Anyway, it’s exceedingly rare to depart 26 on a clearance so a GPS fail from the NEXRAD antenna (or whatever is causing it) prolly doesn’t matter much.
At the risk of being inappropriate, the current Pope would not be horrified, probably find it funny.

It probably is the NEXRAD. They have that thing turned up to “stun” in the summertime. :)

Back