414 Engine Beam Replacement

Anyone have a handle on the efficiency of inter-coolers or the the temperature differential between input and output temperatures. Cold dry air is best for efficiency of combustion and hence output power. Show us the data please.

Curious - What's the consequence if this wasn't discovered and the beam failed?

Would the engine depart or would it severely damage the engine?

Anyone have a handle on the efficiency of inter-coolers or the the temperature differential between input and output temperatures. Cold dry air is best for efficiency of combustion and hence output power. Show us the data please.

Factory intercoolers are around 30% efficient, AA intercoolers around 70%. This is per AA.

Yep, engine would depart the aircraft. I don't know if that's ever happened, though.

I think you meant would it depart the aircraft or just be severely damaged. I'm guessing it'd be severely damaged either way...

I think you meant would it depart the aircraft or just be severely damaged. I'm guessing it'd be severely damaged either way...

True. One does not typically return an engine to service after it falls off an aircraft.

It is always possible the engine might not fall off the plane, crazier things have happened. But the concern of course is the engine falling off, which is why you don't want to mess around with it.

Yeah, especially if the lav dump shoot seals are leaking and blue ice forms on the aircraft exterior, and the engine has a catastrophic failure due to fod.

Heh. Someone asked what would happen. I just linked to a photo showing it happens to even the best... :)

This brings an entirely new meaning to the radio call "Northwest forty five sixty two, we just lost an engine". :D

0518248.jpg

Last edited:
No brown trout have been reported to have squeezed through a 727 lav dump shoot seal.

Yeah but it's more fun than saying the pee hit the fan. Plus, at least some fecal matter made it through, even if the entire trout didn't swim downstream. Hahahaha.

View attachment 53191 The Vee supports the turbo. Here's a wider view where you see the two parallel rails that come straight out. On each rail there are two doughnut looking things that support the engine mounts.
Since we drifted to 727's... they have two large "doughnuts", an upper and lower, that are part of the forward engine mount fitting. Replaceable vibration isolators (either elastomer or wire mesh, "metalflex") mount into the "doughnut".

Last edited:
Thread creep! I am searching for a photograph showing a C-47 flying the hump from Burma to China. One engine departed the C-47 and can be seen falling to the ground. The photo is a lucky shot taken from another C-47 flying in trail. Saw it once, haven't been able to find it again....

Back