400# meat bombs

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
LOL. Never heard of tandem jumpers referred to in this way, but when you're flying a glider in the vicinity, I guess they could be considered such!

Source: http://www.texassoaring.org/GetText.asp?section=N&id=176

Hillboro airport now has a commercial skydiving operation. Possible tandem divers (400 lb meat bombs) free-falling at 120 mph between 11,000 and 2,000. In most cases they will be within 2 miles of the airfield. All pilots entering the area should monitor 122.9 Hillboro unicom for "jumpers away announcements" . Pilots landing at Hillboro should adhere to strict FAA standard pattern rather than the TSA modified glider pattern. Eyes on stalks and head on swivel.

I just came up with an Origami skydiver that I've titled "meatbomb". I'm hoping to get Joe Kittinger himself to sign it at Oshkosh.

Once I get it, my camera, and my computer all in the same room at the same time. Its coming to Oshkosh with me, though.

I've heard of meat Popsicles before, but meat bomb may be more accurate.

Hey, I'll give you $20 for that Origami if you get it signed. :)

If I can get Kittinger to actually sign it, it will remain in my family forever, the most valuable heirloom I can imagine. An original artwork signed by an American hero. It just doesn't get much better than that in my book.

If I can get Kittinger to actually sign it, it will remain in my family forever, the most valuable heirloom I can imagine. An original artwork signed by an American hero. It just doesn't get much better than that in my book.

Easily understandable. One of my little treasures is a copy of Baa Baa Black Sheep signed by Greg Boyington at Airshow 80 in Harlingen, TX. I truly enjoyed meeting him, controversial figure or not.

Easily understandable. One of my little treasures is a copy of Baa Baa Black Sheep signed by Greg Boyington at Airshow 80 in Harlingen, TX. I truly enjoyed meeting him, controversial figure or not.

I have one, too. About the same general time frame at an air show in Colorado.

Why controversial? (Realize that about all I know of him comes from having watched the show as a kid.)

Why controversial? (Realize that about all I know of him comes from having watched the show as a kid.)

Greg was a hard-drinking, very contentious Marine who did his best to have things his way. Nothing really wrong with that, but sometimes he got a little carried away. He went to China with the AVG before America entered the war so he could fly and collect the bounty on Jap planes. He and Chennault, according to Boyington, didn't exactly get along. Seems Chennault was a little slow to pay the bounties, according to Greg. When the AVG broke up, he wangled his way back into the Marines, in spite of a not exactly exemplary record, and did so with some sneaky stuff. Again, according to Greg. By most accounts, he was one hell of a Corsair driver.

After the war, he tried his hand a refereeing boxing (I think it was boxing) matches and got into professional wrestling. His drinking was a major problem, and Pappy had a pretty miserable life up until he died. Still and all, in my one meeting with him he impressed me as a man worth knowing. I used the term controversial primarily because of the military aspects. He was not the role model any branch of the service wanted for their officers, and most certainly not the Marines. They put up with him in time of war because he could make that fighter hum and because his men would follow him through the gates of hell itself. He could probably fly that fighter better drunk than I could fly mine sober.

Last edited:
Greg was a hard-drinking, very contentious Marine who did his best to have things his way. Nothing really wrong with that, but sometimes he got a little carried away. He went to China with the AVG before America entered the war so he could fly and collect the bounty on Jap planes. He and Chennault, according to Boyington, didn't exactly get along. Seems Chennault was a little slow to pay the bounties, according to Greg. When the AVG broke up, he wangled his way back into the Marines, in spite of a not exactly exemplary record, and did so with some sneaky stuff. Again, according to Greg. By most accounts, he was one hell of a Corsair driver.

After the war, he tried his hand a refereeing boxing (I think it was boxing) matches and got into professional wrestling. His drinking was a major problem, and Pappy had a pretty miserable life up until he died. Still and all, in my one meeting with him he impressed me as a man worth knowing. I used the term controversial primarily because of the military aspects. He was not the role model any branch of the service wanted for their officers, and most certainly not the Marines. They put up with him in time of war because he could make that fighter hum and because his men would follow him through the gates of hell itself. He could probably fly that fighter better drunk than I could fly mine sober.
Thanks!

Back