40 years ago today

poadeleted20

Deleted
20 July 69 N60194 C-150 FRG-Local 0.9 Dual, 0.2 Solo Grade: 2-Above Average Remarks: 1st Solo, 1 Landing (Rain). /s/ MJ Collins CFI 1860999 exp 7/31/71

And yes, his first name was Michael, but not that Michael Collins, who was otherwise occupied a quarter million miles away (also flying solo that day).

Last edited:
BTW, the old bird is still flying today, too:

N-number : N60194Aircraft Serial Number : 15070139
Aircraft Manufacturer : CESSNA
Model : 150J
Engine Manufacturer : CONT MOTOR
Model : 0-200 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 1969
Owner Name : GREEN VALLEY AVIATION INC
Owner Address : P O BOX 2215
EVERETT, WA, 98203
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 24-Sep-1976
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard

That's very cool, Ron.

Despite our fascination with the future, it's amazing how rooted in history aviation has been and remains.

I just learned today that Apollo 11 carried cloth and wood from the Wright Flyer to the moon and back.

Ah, one never forgets their first solo!

Glad to see you were "above average." :D

So you did your first solo in a pretty darn new 150? Wonder how many other students have done their first solos in that same plane since.

Very cool memory, Ron. Thanks for sharing.

hmmm 40 years ago I was flying my very own lunar module around the living room while watching Walter on black and white TV. I probably had my astronaut PJs on and was drinking a glass of tang and eating a space food stick.

"Space Food Sticks."

There's something I have not thought of for years.

The space progream gave us so very much of great value; the Space Food Stick was not an exemplar thereof.

"Space Food Sticks."

There's something I have not thought of for years.

The space program gave us so very much of great value; the Space Food Stick was not an exemplar thereof.

Jack's drug store downstairs where we would get our $1 toys (and I worked for 50 cents an hour) got in a candy that you ate from a toothpaste tube like an astronaut. It was a blue jelly.

Remember when everything was A-OK?

I love the FAA data base.

Aircraft Database Search Result
Last Database Update: Mon Jul 20 15:56:07 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer : CESSNA
Model Name : 150J
Aircraft Type : Fixed Wing Single Engine
Engine Type : Reciprocating
Aircraft Category : Land
Number of Engines : 1
Number of Seats : 2
Max. Gross Weight : Less than 12,500 lbsAvg. Cruise Speed : 90 mph
Aircraft Code : 2071820

Back