40 KT winds yesterday...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
So yesterday morning we had up to 40 KT winds between 2000 and 6000 feet here in San Antonio. They died down a bit after lunch, but not before we had an interesting training flight.

Ryan

Now that is flying right there! I love flying backwards in high winds. Good job!

I had a ground roll of about 10' flying a Rans S12 in strong winds. If you don't learn to fly in wind in NE you don't fly alot. ;)

Last edited:
Good helicopter training I suppose. I understamd that learning to hover one is one of the hardes parts.

Doc

I tried to fly backwards the other day when the winds aloft were 50 KTS at 3000'. Unfortunately, the cloud base wouldn't let me get up that high, so I couldn't fly backwards and only got down to 21 KTS. Oh, well, I'll just have to keep trying. :D

Attachments

• Slow flight Nov 2011 (1881 x 1351).jpg
    Slow flight Nov 2011 (1881 x 1351).jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 28
I don't get the video -- that's the way it always looks for me in the Chief...
:rolleyes:
Well, I love Chiefs and would probably buy one I know of for 10K if I could figure out a cheap way to have dual brakes in it. I've done backwards in a Cub.

Ryan

Well, I love Chiefs and would probably buy one I know of for 10K if I could figure out a cheap way to have dual brakes in it. I've done backwards in a Cub.

Ryan

The guy who taught me tailwheel did it in a Taylorcraft that only had brakes on the left side. He was a brave soul. Shoot, with that airplane and me in the left seat, we might as well not have had brakes - I could NEVER get comfortable with the heel brakes.

Many years ago I was out doing practice instrument approaches in the late afternoon/early evening with a student in the Houston area. Skies were completely clear, but the winds aloft were fairly strong. I wanted to take my student up and show him the challenges of doing instrument approaches in non-convective low level wind shear.

As shown in this sounding analysis below, the winds were dead calm at the surface, but at 1,400 feet MSL they were screaming along at 42 knots. In a TAF this would appear as WS015/34042KT. Nevertheless, the air was glassy smooth. Even when the air is smooth, these conditions make hand flying an ILS approach quite a task. :yikes:

High-Low-Level-Winds.gif
Very nice Scott!

Of interest was that when I made the weather briefing call about 30 minutes before the flight they let me to expect 20 KT or so winds at 3000 and 12 at 6000... that led to some errors in timing for the trip back into the airfield from the practice area!

Ryan

Only because I would use it with students.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Wow. Never experienced that before, but who knows, maybe one day.

Back