4 + instructor from Vegas to see Grand Canyon?

deaston

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
Taking the family (wife and 2 kids) to Vegas next weekend (flying commercial). While we are there, I'd like to take a sight-seeing flight to the Grand Canyon. I'm a low time PPL holder not ready to tackle the Vegas/Canyon flight solo. All my time is in Cessna 172/182.

Weight isn't the main problem (we weigh in less than 520# total). Seems flight schools with 5+ seat aircraft are pretty rare.

Found a twin, but doesn't do much for furthering my single engine experience:
http://learntoflylv.com/aircraft.html

Also found a Cherokee 6, which looks promising:
http://www.monarchsky.com/monarch-fleet/airplane-rates/piper-cherokee-six

I've contacted both so we'll see...

Any other ideas? Leaving my wife behind has already been vetoed. ;)

Plan A. are the kids old enough to appreciate the flight over the canyon? if not, make arrangements with the hotel for a baby sitter and take your wife.

Plan B. take one of the commercial scenic flights. not as much fun, probably the same cost as renting an airplane with a CFI.

Those are pretty much your only two options that I know of in the valley.

The summer heat is here, going to top 100F today so you'll want to plan on flying early in the day. Both operations may have to be "providing dual instruction" to get more than 25nm from departure, so bring your logbook. Otherwise it's a tourist flight and other rules come into play.

As another post said, if the kids are old enough to appreciate the trip, great! But if younger than 5 or 6, find a sitter and rent a C-182 with CFI. There are more options for that in the valley.

A Staggerwing Beech over the canyon is a great flight!

Kids are 11 and 14. Maybe a scenic tour is the best way to go.

I was just out there a couple weeks ago. If I were you I would look into a heli operation at the big airport. There are some bad ass helicopters there and I think that would be the way to see it.

The canyon helicopter rides for 4 people can be pricey. It would still probably be more cost effective to get a Cherokee Six and fly with the instructor and family. That FBO/Club doesn't list prices, however, though they have some nice planes (Arrow, Six, Diamond, Mooney w/Rocket conversion). I'll have to look them up next time I'm out there.

Also consider it via helicopter. Maverick gives an excellent tour, though I believe an excursion to the Grand Canyon is pretty pricey. There are also several helicopter tour companies based at KBVU, but I'm not familliar with them.

Back