4 Hours This Weekend, OXB Crab Notes

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
I flew more hours this weekend than I have in a single weekend since the kids were born!

Two trips down and back to Ocean City MD ("OXB") from Pottstown PA. Approximately 4 hours in the log book. What fun.

On Saturday, took a friend (Tim) down to OXB on Saturday to get crabs. Scattered clouds between 2,700 and 3,700 kept us low but the heat and the bumps were not too bad for us (my boy David would not have liked it).

Ran the Mooney at 24 squared in cruise. I've decided I like the CHTs better than when I run it at 25 squared. At 24 squared #3 cylinder only runs a little higher than 1, 2 & 4 and none of the temps are close to 400. The speed trade off is probably something like 5 knots.

Tim got to see a few C-5s up close while we went past Dover AFB.

Getting the crabs took more ground time at OXB than expected (see possible ways to speed process below).

Cab fare has at least tripled since I last did a trip to OXB.

We got the crabs at Hooper's Crab house. I spoke with the general manager, Ryan Intrieri, while I waited for our crabs to cook. He said that if people call in advance that he will have the crabs ready when they get to the restaurant. He also said that often someone at the restaurant would be available to deliver the crabs to the airport. This is significant as the cab fare is the same as the crab fare for a dozen large. I will call ahead in the future and shoot for having the crabs delivered to the airport.

Hooper's 411:

410-213-1771
12913 Ocean Gateway
Ocean City MD 21842
GM Ryan Intrieri

After the flight back home Tim's family and mine enjoyed eating the crabs and other good food.

On Sunday we went to the early "speed Mass" (no singing - in and out about 40 minutes depending on long winded'ness of the priest or deacon). After church we all changed into bathing suites, packed a cooler and other beach related stuff and we are off to the airport.

Wx along the route was clear skys with 10 miles plus in haze.

We loaded the Mooney M20C to the gills. 4 people, 4 beach chairs, 1 Igloo Wheelie Cool cooler (with sandwiches, chips, soda water, juice pouches, etc), 1 medium size beach umbrella in carrying bag, 2 kid sand buckets, 6 kid hand implements for working the, 1 mesh bag (of 4 beach towels, 1 beach blanket and assorted extra shirts and such) and 1 sand proof bag (of suntan lotion and assorted other stuff). It is a shame that Mooney's just won't carry anything. :)

We launch at about 10am. Climb at 25 squared at 100 MPH provides 1,000 FPM climb, 110 MPH yielded about 800 FPM climb and 120 MPH yielded 500 FPM climb (especially if the PIC remembers to hold sufficient right rudder in the climb).

After departure from Pottstown (PTW) I called PHL approach, got permission Bravo for a climb to higher, cooler air. I'm given 3,000 feet as an initial altitude but also given a turn to the southeast (OXB is due south from PTW). I'm thinking the controller is thinking I want to go to Ocean City NJ. Upon reaching 3 I ask if the assigned heading was for traffic 'cause I really want to go south to OXB. That got things straightened out and I was allowed to climb to 6.5. The air was cooler and no bumps. David was fine (he has had airsickness issues in the past - this will make 4 legs in a row where David has not gotten sick :cheerswine: ). Matthew was fine too.

Very little traffic. We get to OXB, unload the Mooney and jump in a cab. With tip, cab fare to the beach is $20. After some initial kid issues (I don't want to help, I don't want suntan lotion, the sand is hot and such) everyone settles down to a fun afternoon at the beach.

At about 5pm I call from the beach for a Wx briefing. The Wx is great and expected to stay that way but there is a TFR for a mid air along the route. Heard a brief report on news radio this morning but nothing further.

Trip home was good. I climbed to 5.5 initially. This put us right in the band of haze, visibility was good (I could see the other side of the bay) but higher or lower would have been better viz wise. As I got toward PHL I descended to 3.5 and the visibility improved, the kids were asleep, the bumps and heat not too bad.

Yes, all in all a very fun weekend. Of course, nothing got done around the house - oh well.

Len

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
I flew more hours this weekend than I have in a single weekend since the kids were born!
Len

Nice story, Len! I can't wait 'till Sherry is really ready to start going places with me. (Can't wait to get that IR, either.)

You put a whole new meaning to the term $100 Hamburger.

sere said:
You put a whole new meaning to the term $100 Hamburger.

I dare not do any sub-totaling or totaling of the weekend's expenditures.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I'm thinking the controller is thinking I want to go to Ocean City NJ. Upon reaching 3 I ask if the assigned heading was for traffic 'cause I really want to go south to OXB. That got things straightened out and I was allowed to climb to 6.5.
Len
Nice account Len. Sounds like you had a good time.

I had a similar thing happen once except the controller had the foresight to ask. I was flying south down the NJ coast and called Atlantic City approach for FF. I gave the destination as Ocean City forgetting for the moment that there are two of them. He came back with kind of a chuckle and asked whether it was NJ or MD...

Len Lanetti said:
I dare not do any sub-totaling or totaling of the weekend's expenditures.
Len

Yeah Len, that's an expensive dozen crabs, but its the journey, not the destination, right? But at least you can get them. Ahhh, crabs...sigh.

Nice story, glad you got to exercise that new engine. Sounds like the kids are good flyers too. That's what its all about.

RotaryWingBob said:
Nice account Len. Sounds like you had a good time.

Bob,

I had a great time this weekend...got to fly, got to spend time with family and friends not worrying about household chores (so what if the hedge is only halfway trimmed - I can't see that half from my back porch), got to eat good seafood and got to spend time on the beach.

What I need to find is an airport near a place where you can buy crabs but is not a tourist area. I figure the tourist part adds significantly to the cost of the crabs. I'm wondering if there is a place to buy crabs near Accomack County airport a litte farther south on the easter shore of MD.

Len

Anthony said:
Yeah Len, that's an expensive dozen crabs, but its the journey, not the destination, right? But at least you can get them. Ahhh, crabs...sigh.

Nice story, glad you got to exercise that new engine. Sounds like the kids are good flyers too. That's what its all about.

We actually picked up 2 dozen. :<)

You are right, it was the trip. I had promissed Tim a ride a few months ago. He's a Penn State grad and hails originally from Buffalo...so now he is planning all kinds of trips for us to pick up all manner of local foods.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Bob,
What I need to find is an airport near a place where you can buy crabs but is not a tourist area. I figure the tourist part adds significantly to the cost of the crabs. I'm wondering if there is a place to buy crabs near Accomack County airport a litte farther south on the easter shore of MD.
Len

Crisfield, MD (W41) is what you seek. Just make sure you can get from the airport to downtown where the crab places are now that Max is gone.

Len Lanetti said:
Good for you, Len, and a nice write up. I was going to do the same (not the crabs, but the flying: out to Nantucket to visit with friends) but... there's always a but, isn't there?

I was met at the airport by a plane with a very flat nose strut. After fending off a serious case of IWannaFlyAnyway-itis, I squawked it and since it was not going to be repaired anytime soon, went to Home Depot. Grumble.

But that is part of aviation, too.

-Skip

great story Len, It is sad that mooneys just cant handle the weight.
:)

Michael

Ahhhh Flying, Crabs and the Beach what could be better! Great use of GA Len. I never knew the Mooney hauled like a truck! Wow!

AdamZ said:
I never knew the Mooney hauled like a truck! Wow!

Yeah, just think what I could tote if I had a Cherokee 6!

With 50+ gallons of fuel I can still carry over 600 lbs in the cockpit. So it is all in how and what a person packs. Karen and I are under 300 lbs and combined the kids are just over 100. The rear baggage area is limited in volume (by physical dimensions) and weight (placard). The heaviest items was the cooler at just under 50 lbs. The rest of the stuff takes up room but doesn't weigh very much.

I mention the Igloo Wheelie cooler by brand name as it is a perfect fit through the Mooney hatch and the wheels make it easy coming and going. When in the baggage compartment the cooler leaves room left or right for soft or small things and fore or aft to fit 2 of the beach chairs.

The only situation I don't like when I pack for the beach is the umbrella. In a crash landing that thing could become a misslle no matter how I wedge it in and pack stuff around it. I think in the future I'm just going to rent an umbrella upon getting to the beach. The rental umbrellas are bigger and it is one less thing to carry to and from the beach as well.

Len

Well Len ,next time you go let me know i live in Harrisburg and fly down there often, i have friends there and could posibably even barrow a car. Dave G.

Ha! That's nothing! I flew 14.6 hours this weekend (which may be a record for me, too)!

But seriously, it sounds like you had a good time.

Judy

Len Lanetti said:
Bob,

I had a great time this weekend...got to fly, got to spend time with family and friends not worrying about household chores (so what if the hedge is only halfway trimmed - I can't see that half from my back porch), got to eat good seafood and got to spend time on the beach.

Len

Salisbury, MD

They have a crew car and you can drive to the crab house. They will have them cooked just before you get there if you call ahead. We take a "cooler chest?" along and have them cooked until alomost done (about 10 minutes shy), then they will simmer a little on the way back and be perfectly done. Let me know if you want the information, I'll get the name and phone number, as well as directions to the place from the airport. It is only 5 minutes away and my friend says they are great. (Sorry, can't give first hand advice as i dislike seafood, I just pilot the plane.)

Aztec Driver said:
Salisbury, MD

They have a crew car and you can drive to the crab house. They will have them cooked just before you get there if you call ahead. We take a "cooler chest?" along and have them cooked until alomost done (about 10 minutes shy), then they will simmer a little on the way back and be perfectly done. Let me know if you want the information, I'll get the name and phone number, as well as directions to the place from the airport. It is only 5 minutes away and my friend says they are great. (Sorry, can't give first hand advice as i dislike seafood, I just pilot the plane.)

Bryon,

Salisbury would be perfect. If you get the chance I'd like to get the 411.

Thanks,

Len

Shipoke said:
Well Len ,next time you go let me know i live in Harrisburg and fly down there often, i have friends there and could posibably even barrow a car. Dave G.

Dave,

Thanks for the offer.

This weekend my wife's family has their annual reunion. I'm heading up to the Pottsville PA area. Usually we have a good time.

Len

judypilot said:
Ha! That's nothing! I flew 14.6 hours this weekend (which may be a record for me, too)!

But seriously, it sounds like you had a good time.

Judy,

I did have a good time. Note that before wife and before kids I was an airport bum. If I wasn't at my day job I typically could be found at the airport. I flew a lot more back then.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
With 50+ gallons of fuel I can still carry over 600 lbs in the cockpit. The only situation I don't like when I pack for the beach is the umbrella. In a crash landing that thing could become a misslle no matter how I wedge it in and pack stuff around it. I think in the future I'm just going to rent an umbrella upon getting to the beach. The rental umbrellas are bigger and it is one less thing to carry to and from the beach as well.
Len

Pretty similar to the Tiger. With 51 gallons (full tanks) I have 635 lbs of useful load.

I hate umbrellas too. My wife insisted on bringing one the last time we went to Hatteras, NC (HSE). I wedged it behind the seats, semi horizontally so it wouldn't become a missile. It still bothered me though. If its just the two of us I can take out the rear seat backs and fold down the rear seats and its not an issue. My dream is to one day sleep in the back of the Tiger next to the beach as there's enough room back there. However, my wife does not share that dream. :dunno:

Anthony said:
Pretty similar to the Tiger. With 51 gallons (full tanks) I have 635 lbs of useful load.

I hate umbrellas too. My wife insisted on bringing one the last time we went to Hatteras, NC (HSE). I wedged it behind the seats, semi horizontally so it wouldn't become a missile. It still bothered me though. If its just the two of us I can take out the rear seat backs and fold down the rear seats and its not an issue. My dream is to one day sleep in the back of the Tiger next to the beach as there's enough room back there. However, my wife does not share that dream. :dunno:

A Tiger on floats would make that dream an easy to achieve reality.

Len Lanetti said:
Anthony,

You just need to find her a hairdryer that runs off of 12 volts.

Len

LOL Len you hit the nail on the head. I always tell my wife. Don't bring the blow dryer the hotel has them. It just takes up space and weight. She always tells me but the hotels' dosen't have enought watts. Ugh I'll never win that one. Havng short hair I never use a blow drier and just can't relate.

Arnold said:
A Tiger on floats would make that dream an easy to achieve reality.

Now that would be interesting. Never seen one Arnold and I doubt I ever will. I'll start working on the STC. :)

Len/Adam. I don't know if its the hair dryer or having to be stuck in the back of the plane with me and possibly the dog.

Len Lanetti said:
Bryon,

Salisbury would be perfect. If you get the chance I'd like to get the 411.

Thanks,

Len

Here is the info I have:

The place name is Skipjacks in Salisbury, MD.
Phone number is 410-543-1644.
It's just a little seafood place on the corner a few miles from the airport. My friend swears by them and we have made several trips there so far. I can't give my opinion on it as all I get out of the trips is an "old bay seasoning cabin" and some flight time. I dislike seafood.

Aztec Driver said:
I can't give my opinion on it as all I get out of the trips is an "old bay seasoning cabin" and some flight time. I dislike seafood.

Bryon,

Thanks for the info. I will try them and report back the next time we make a crab run.

RE Old Bay Seasoning Cabin - we brought the famous Igloo Wheelie Cool which neatly fits in the back of the Mooney. The "cooler" will keep the crabs warm, retain the aroma and prevent leakage of the hot water and seasonings still inside the crabs from impregnating the aircraft.

RE Dislike of Seafood - many folks are put off by the process of eating actual hard shell crabs. There are many other types of seafood as I'm sure you are aware. Also lots of ways that seafood can be prepared. Possibly a nice dense white meat type of fish cooked over a grill might be more to your taste. Of late I've been eating a significant amount of sushi and if it were practical I would consider eating nothing but sushi as there are lots of very different flavors to be found (this is probably just a "phase" for me). On the flip side, I recently had a few veggie burgers that were very good. That said, when you are really, really hungry it is hard to beat a good steak cooked just right over an open flame, baked potato, corn on the cob and a salad with chunky blue cheese dressing.

Len

Back