4 Dead Malibu Plane Crash in Adirondack Mtns

sad deal........:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Planes and big trees don't mesh well...:no:

sad deal........:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Planes and big trees don't mesh well...:no:

Trees themselves aren't actually that bad, I pulled several planes out where the occupants walked away. When the approach is 'vertical', it doesn't much matter what is underneath you as to the results.:(

Trees themselves aren't actually that bad, I pulled several planes out where the occupants walked away. When the approach is 'vertical', it doesn't much matter what is underneath you as to the results.:(
Sounds like they stalled/spun it in. No indication in the article of whether it was due to engine out or a power-on departure stall.

I've only been to SLK once but as I recall, the valley it's in is fairly broad so I can't imagine a Malibu that's not heavily loaded would be hard pressed to outrun rising terrain on takeoff.

RIP.

Sounds like they stalled/spun it in. No indication in the article of whether it was due to engine out or a power-on departure stall.

I've only been to SLK once but as I recall, the valley it's in is fairly broad so I can't imagine a Malibu that's not heavily loaded would be hard pressed to outrun rising terrain on takeoff.

RIP.

We likely will never know what happened. That is one of the nice things about glass decks, they do serve as pseudo FDR.

We likely will never know what happened. That is one of the nice things about glass decks, they do serve as pseudo FDR.

So do GoPros, engine monitors ( especially with Fuel, GPS ), we'll see

Night time winter ops out of SLK can be a little sporty, but with the beautiful weather and the plane in question, I wouldn't think it would be that much of a challenge.

Maybe he psyched himself out about the hills and got too aggressive in his initial climb?

Anyone know the pilots qualifications?

Night time winter ops out of SLK can be a little sporty, but with the beautiful weather and the plane in question, I wouldn't think it would be that much of a challenge.

Maybe he psyched himself out about the hills and got too aggressive in his initial climb?

That is really the only scenario I can picture. Steep full power climb, not enough right rudder, hit some turbulence that got him past critical AoA and into a spin he went. Outside of that is some airframe component or control failure.

:yeahthat:

I have flown out of SLK in a Arrow and easily made the recommend departure climb rate. However, it is a little harrowing climbing up the ladder fairly close to the large mountain range ahead. I could see how someone would get a little over aggressive if that is what did in fact happen

RIP to all those involved.

I just saw the airplane and met the owner at Botavia NY recently. 2015 PA46 safety record is not looking good.

No it isn't. These hot high density days sure don't help either. I know I have increased my desired runway length lately by about 1000 ft. Also added 5 kts or so before rotation.

No it isn't. These hot high density days sure don't help either. I know I have increased my desired runway length lately by about 1000 ft. Also added 5 kts or so before rotation.

You're not going to be seeing all that high DA up in the north country, weather has been 70ish lately.

I just saw the airplane and met the owner at Botavia NY recently. 2015 PA46 safety record is not looking good.

Aircraft safety record.... IMHO, well more like, IMO, GA aircraft safety records are for people who are used to buying cars, not experienced pilots. The demographic that a aircraft attracts has much more to do with safety then the actual airframe.

Case and point Cirrus' streak of deaths, or the rich guy who took his family out fiddling with the autopilot on the PC12 (super pussycat of a airplane), or other rich dude in the TBM that lost pressure, didn't put his mask on and killed everyone.

Last edited:
Back