4 approaches and a "for real" missed with video! 2014 got off to a great start!

beestforwardspeed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CoopAir
HD Video of the flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wx44ycMtog&feature=youtu.be

The forecast as early as 6 days out was hinting at a good chance for IMC for several days prior to Saturday so of course I was watching pretty much every run of the GFS, NAM and ECMWF (Euro) for most of last week, hoping that the forecast would hold up.

Come Friday afternoon, the TAF's are calling for 300 OVC later going up to 800 with the freezing level to the moon so I was jumping for joy!

Got out of bed early Sat AM to check again, and I get a bit more than I bargained for as everything is now below minimums. Being that it is forecast to go up to 500 ft and then 800, I drive up to BAF and figure I just wait till its above minimums to launch. I invited George who is a CFII up there to join me (as a pax, not a dual flight), as he loves that kind of weather too. Amazing, because he is twice my age and has about 20X more hours than I do!

When I get there, much to my shock, the plane is covered in about an inch of wet heavy snow, even though its 34 deg with a sharp inversion and the freezing level to 10,000. It takes me 45 min to get all the crap off the plane and I then learn that the airport is closed for snow removal.

Finally at 11 AM they open the field so we get the clearance depart on Rwy 2. Weather is now 300' and 1 mile vis, but enough since there is an ILS there. We start off with the ILS 5 at CEF and as we are being vectored on a left base, we notice at 3000 that the winds are at almost 60 its, but a pretty smooth ride mostly.

On the ILS 5 to start, we have a BIG tailwind and I have to bring the power back almost to idle to stay on the GS! At DH (250') we see a bit of ground, but nothing that counts so we go missed back to BAF.

Upon checking the ATIS, it has now dropped to 200' and 1/4 sm there so I tell George that we'll go to BDL if we can't get in. On a Saturday afternoon, I have nowhere to be, plus I brought everything I needed to stay overnight if need be, that way there is no pressure to get back.

Sure enough on the ILS 20 (where we have only 50 kts groundspeed!) we can barely see the ground at DH so we go missed not surprisingly and get vectored for the ILS 24 at BDL. They are reporting 300 OVC and 6000+ RVR so I'm very confident we'll get in since the lighting system is excellent there.

Surprisingly, we break out at 700 AGL on the approach and from there to touchdown, we have a very squirly wind and a lot of chop. Luckily, I touchdown pretty smoothly and head on over to TacAir to wait for the ceiling to come up.

An hour later, we even get some t-storms that quickly pass, and as luck would have it, the ceiling also comes up at BAF right after the boomers pass by as well so we launch for BAF again.

After departing Rwy 24, we are assigned a 360 HDG with puts up on the left downwind for the ILS 20. When the controller puts us on base, he gives us a 090 hdg and seems to not account for the wind so I ask him if he can turn us towards the FAF more and gives us a 40 deg right turn which is a nice base leg.

It is not until we are almost right on the LOC that we gives us our app clearance and then ships us off to BAF tower not long after.

When I check in with BAF tower, he gives me the RVR readout which is very low (under 1500 ft if I remember correctly), but tells me that he can see a lot further than that b/c the RVR sensor is just a few feet high and is picking up scud that even 10 ft up is not there!

Interesting.........

After flying the long and slowwww ILS 20, we break out at 100' above minimums and can see exactly what he is talking about as parts of the airport look like they have "scud" that doesnt really affect landing.

This is a great example of how, human observers are really the strong link in the chain when it comes to weather reporting, despite how high tech we want automated reports to be.

We make an uneventful landing and taxi back to the FBO. Once there, a few guys are anxious to hear all about our flight as they are pretty excited that we got the change to go up on a flyable IFR day in January without icing worries!

A great way to start off 2014!!

Last edited:
Interested in seeing your video, but the link doesn't work.

Edit: Found your channel on another post:

Nice. How is that airplane equipped? How long have you had your IR? I'm working on my IR and can see it taking a while yet to feel comfortable in that.

Thanks for sharing,reminds me of some actuals.maybe next time you can add a few pictures of the panel.

Nice. How is that airplane equipped? How long have you had your IR? I'm working on my IR and can see it taking a while yet to feel comfortable in that.

Based on the "TIS Not Available" callout I'm going to guess a Garmin G1000 equipped Cessna 172. How close am I?

I've had my IR a bit over 5 years. That being said, I was at my sharpest the first few weeks after my checkride, not now.

In hindsight, its funny to think I had higher minimums then than I do now!

To get good, the #1 thing I can suggest is find a CFII who is comfortable going up in actual at every opportunity possible during your training, even if its near minimums. The confidence you will get from doing this is amazing.

A bit plus is if he/she really UNDERSTAND the weather, and can look at a skew-t and determine what the atomosphere is up to. Doesnt have to be a meteorologist, just a pilot who solidly understands Mother Nature.

Lastly, after your checkride, seek out an experienced IR pilot who is up for riding along with you in wx you might be shy in, or ask him if you can sit right seat on such fligths and learn through osmothsis.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I think I have a good CFII from my PPL. Hopefully sticking with him will pay off. Is that a WAAS equipped airplane? Wasn't sure you could go that low without WAAS or is it ok on an ILS. (sorry, I still have a lot to learn).

I've had my IR a bit over 5 years. That being said, I was at my sharpest the first few weeks after my checkride, not now.

In hindsight, its funny to think I had higher minimums then than I do now!

To get good, the #1 thing I can suggest is find a CFII who is comfortable going up in actual at every opportunity possible during your training, even if its near minimums. The confidence you will get from doing this is amazing.

A bit plus is if he/she really UNDERSTAND the weather, and can look at a skew-t and determine what the atomosphere is up to. Doesnt have to be a meteorologist, just a pilot who solidly understands Mother Nature.

Lastly, after your checkride, seek out an experienced IR pilot who is up for riding along with you in wx you might be shy in, or ask him if you can sit right seat on such fligths and learn through osmothsis.

Great video. Thank you for posting.

That is awesome. First off, Westfield is where I grew up and I've flown my 172 from Ohio and landed there a few times. Most recently was the Halloween snowstorm - my mom's 80th birthday. We got stranded for a day, had to clear snow off the plane and wait for the airport to open.

Video was great - loved the view of ground fog. I've read about it but seeing it on video gives me a much better appreciation for landing in it.

The one thing that struck me as I flew over the Berkshires and landed at BAF was just how forested and beautiful that part of the country is. As a kid growing up there, I had little appreciation for that aspect and I miss it terribly at times.

Thanks for posting.

Great video and thanks for sharing. I love watching these. I need to learn how to connect an audio recorder to my GoPro or at least have an audio recorder to begin with.

The G1000 is incredible for IMC. I hate it for everything else.

I especially hate it for training and VFR flights. /rant

I got my PPL and IR in the G1000 plus whatever extra time I did (~200hrs).

With the PPL, you focus on it. ALL THE TIME. It's almost impossible to not look at it. You don't learn to fly the airplane, but to fly the G1000. I know I spent at least 80% heads down even though I didn't mean to. You learn to fly numbers instead of learning to fly the airplane.

My biggest issue with the G1000 is that is TELLS you information instead of giving you data, and having you interpret it. I'm basically having to unlearn everything I was taught, and relearn everything the way I want it. The more you focus on basics in the beginning, the better pilot you will be.

I LOVE round dials/steam gauges. I think they're so much more enjoyable to fly. I spend time looking around. I know where I'm at and can get where I'm going based on pilotage and dead reckoning. I'd rather have a 6-pack and a G430 or G530, plus an HSI. I like HSI's. lol

On another note, I do like having the know-how to fly a glass cockpit, if the need arises. I can hop in and go where a lot of old-timers can't. Plus, you can get some time by flying with the older generation and helping them out.

Ok. No more ranting. It does no good. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Back to the video, please.

I got my PPL and IR in the G1000 plus whatever extra time I did (~200hrs).

With the PPL, you focus on it. ALL THE TIME. It's almost impossible to not look at it. You don't learn to fly the airplane, but to fly the G1000. I know I spent at least 80% heads down even though I didn't mean to. You learn to fly numbers instead of learning to fly the airplane.

My biggest issue with the G1000 is that is TELLS you information instead of giving you data, and having you interpret it. I'm basically having to unlearn everything I was taught, and relearn everything the way I want it. The more you focus on basics in the beginning, the better pilot you will be.

I LOVE round dials/steam gauges. I think they're so much more enjoyable to fly. I spend time looking around. I know where I'm at and can get where I'm going based on pilotage and dead reckoning. I'd rather have a 6-pack and a G430 or G530, plus an HSI. I like HSI's. lol

On another note, I do like having the know-how to fly a glass cockpit, if the need arises. I can hop in and go where a lot of old-timers can't. Plus, you can get some time by flying with the older generation and helping them out.

Ok. No more ranting. It does no good. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Back to the video, please.

Ok, I thought you were suggesting that it was in some way "bad for VFR flying".

I too learned and got my PPL on steam gauges (there was no glass cockpit GA back then). When I returned to the cockpit after my hiatus, I went right into a G1000 172SP and love it. I fly both now but really enjoy the G1000.

At first I did have to fight the tendency to be glued to the panel, but then again I was also knocking off the rust of being out of the cockpit for ten years.

Still haven't gotten that instrument yet:mad2:

Last edited:
My biggest issue with the G1000 is that is TELLS you information instead of giving you data, and having you interpret it.

I don't really get that issue when I'm flying it. It tells me information but I also have to interpret data. My biggest issue is how they implemented the 'ball'.

I never really got comfortable with it. To me it takes a little too much 'interpreting'.

Oh don't worry about the thread jack. I was once told... once you start a thread, don't expect it to stay on topic.:rolleyes:

Back