3W5 close call

"75 ft. trees, 852 ft. from runway, 8:1 slope to clear"

Yikes .... DA indeed ...

Jesus Christ. That is scary.

And before anyone jumps on the "poor judgment" bandwagon, the airplane's book said it could be done, I'd bet. This guy seems pretty knowledgable about making smart decisions, as you can see from what he learned, and how he approached the takeoff.

He got lucky, but he did everything right. Although, I do question having that many people in the plane with him for that takeoff.

Jesus Christ. That is scary.

And before anyone jumps on the "poor judgment" bandwagon, the airplane's book said it could be done, I'd bet. This guy seems pretty knowledgable about making smart decisions, as you can see from what he learned, and how he approached the takeoff.

He got lucky, but he did everything right. Although, I do question having that many people in the plane with him for that takeoff.

Field elevation was only like 257' and I think he only had one other person in the plane but who knows how much fuel and other junk or if he used shortfield obstical clearance technique. Heck Anthony flys his Tiger out of a field that is less than 100' longer and about the same elevation.

I'm wondering if the surounding mountains create some sort of perpetual rotor off the departure end but he didn't sink he just didn't climb. Power settings or improper leaning ? I really don't know although I think the lynch pin is that from what the PIC was saying he knew it was gonig to be a difficult or interesting departure. It almost seemed like he was saying well here we go lets keep our fingers crossed. I wonder if anyone here has local knowledge.

I know how these guys felt after that departure. My friend owns this grass strip that is 2000' long and slopes uphill towards the end without trees. This summer me and a co-worker landed my C150 there to stretch our legs. On departure the wind favored the downhill end with tall trees. The DA was 3,200 and I had 10 gallons total in the tanks. Our combined weight was 330lbs. I thought it would be better to take off downhill with a headwind. I realized after I passed my abort point it was going to be a little scary, but the bird finally broke ground effect and started to climb. I had to make a shallow turn to miss the tallest stuff. I felt stupid for not departing towards the clear end of the strip, and I won't go back there with any kind of a load on a hot day.

012405.jpg

8GA6

Back