3T9-Big Bend

Rebel Lord

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rebel Lord
Anyone flew into 3T9? I want to do a camping trip with a few friends at Big Bend. I've never had a chance to make it out there but it looks amazing. I really want to check it out from the air as well as hike it.

IMG_0057.JPG

Anyone flew into 3T9? I want to do a camping trip with a few friends at Big Bend. I've never had a chance to make it out there but it looks amazing. I really want to check it out from the air as well as hike it.

View attachment 53776

Big Bend is a beautiful park. Santa Elena canyon is special. The volcanic mountains surrounded by desert are nice, too. Don't know when springtime blooms are best; that would be nice but I haven't seen it.

It is amazingly peaceful, without crowds, airline traffic or anything.

I flew in to Midland TX, which is a really long but easy drive. The park is just an isolated place.

Anyone flew into 3T9? I want to do a camping trip with a few friends at Big Bend.
Yes. I might be one of the closest POA members living near it but I am still 67miles from it. It is about a 3 hour drive; that will give you an idea of the roads/terrain.
The airport is.... a barren strip with zero services. As it should be, as we like it. No gas, no tiedowns, no bathrooms, no building, no nuttin'. And it is beautiful there. A harsh, surreal beauty. Come prepared for desert living and self-sustaining, emergency gear and all that. Not much in the way of atc. Lots of snakes, cactus, sudden storms, you get the idea. It is beautiful. Don't expect cell service, or any kind of service. Well, you can book ahead at BBRSP and rent a bunk or the ranchhouse. I think they need a certain number before they will provide meals. They have had horses and did provide fourwheel excursions in the past.
It is a long way from the photo you posted. You can see the canyon from the airplane on the way in or out but if camping at BBRSP, you won't see that. You will see many other cool sites. I liked hiking Cinco Tinajas, it is nearby and pretty.
I'd call ahead to see what they can offer, check on the strip. Go now or it will be dangerously hot. Bring bottles of SPF1000 sunblock, a big hat, scads of water.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/big-bend-ranch

We flew into Lajitas a couple of months ago, stayed at the resort, and rented a Jeep to explore Big Bend National Park.

It's simply one of the most gorgeous places on Earth. Perfect to fly to -- and the FBO manager meets you with a couple of cold beers. :)

I am planning a trip there too. Flying into Alpine and renting a car and driving to the park.

We flew into Lajitas a couple of months ago, stayed at the resort, and rented a Jeep to explore Big Bend National Park.

It's simply one of the most gorgeous places on Earth. Perfect to fly to -- and the FBO manager meets you with a couple of cold beers. :)

We did that 6 or 7 years ago. Loved Lajitas as a base camp. Did ours during spring break.

This is making me excited :biggrin:

We are planning a week long trip with a bunch of people so most my friends are driving there. Me and my friends are going to do primitive backpack camping, might even bring our horses.

Last few days when we get back to the actual camp sites I want to get some
Girls into my cockpit for some sight seeing. :thumbsup:

Edit: speaking of which are the camping areas big enough if 80+ people are coming?

We flew into 3T9 about 5 years ago. We had only one night there because accommodation was booked for the following nights. Would go back there in a heartbeat. Make sure that you stay in the main building - it's awesome.

We did some horseback riding and hiking before we had to leave. There were several groups hunting.

Have fun and post some pictures!

If I went to Big Bend again, I would want to do the guided canoe ride down the river through Santa Elena Canyon, like in this photo. So far I've only done the very short hike into the canyon.

Mexico is one side, Texas is the other. It's cool, and dark, and the ecosystem looks different from the rest of the National Park.

karen-santa-elena-canyon-rio-grande-big-bend-national-park.jpg

We are planning a week long trip with a bunch of people so most my friends are driving there. Me and my friends are going to do primitive backpack camping, might even bring our horses.

Last few days when we get back to the actual camp sites I want to get some
Girls into my cockpit for some sight seeing. :thumbsup:

Edit: speaking of which are the camping areas big enough if 80+ people are coming?
Did you ever set a date for your trip?
I am taking my son backpacking for two days in the Chisos Mountains the end of next week.
We are flying into Alpine (E38), renting a car and driving into Beg Bend.

Did you ever set a date for your trip?
I am taking my son backpacking for two days in the Chisos Mountains the end of next week.
We are flying into Alpine (E38), renting a car and driving into Beg Bend.

Nah just talking about it

...I want to get some Girls into my cockpit for some sight seeing. :thumbsup:

You horndog you! 80 girls too!

I kayaked Big Bend (the run where the rapids are) eons ago with a guy named Deiter Weck. Deiter had escaped from East Germany in his Kayak! He got rich being a Baker of all things.(He baked on the trip using a Dutch Oven. Made Pizza and Cinnamon rolls!)

Anyway, one night we camped out and were drinking a bit (some more than a bit) and there were some cows (this was on the Mexican side). One of the guys on the trip was telling us how he went to a Dude Ranch once and learned how to castrate Bulls! Well there was a mean looking bull in amongst the cows. So old Deiter takes a swig on the bottle and says "I'll give you 50 bucks if you go over there and castrate that Bull!!

We roared with laughter over a whiskey and a campfire!!

Somehow I don't think the Mexicans would have been very happy if we had castrated their bull! Come out in the morning and say, "Some Son of a ***** castrated our BULL!" "Sheet man!"

Last edited:
Big Bend is great. Haven't been in many years. Be sure to cross over the river to Boquillas for a few hours. I've heard they made the "border crossing" a little more formal than it used to be, We just paid a guy a couple bucks to row us across and that was it. I heard now you need a passport

The bar in town had some strong Mexican moonshine...I believe they called it Soto.

View attachment 53776
Just got back from Big Bend National Park. It was Great!! Flew into Alpine, rented a car and drove to the park. Hiked and camped in the Chisos Mountains for 3 days. Drove the Santa Elena Canyon to look around. Lots of fun. Only advice is bring more water on your hike than you think you need!!!!! I consumed 1.75 gal of water per day on our hike. We only hiked from 8 am to 12 noon because it got to hot in the afternoon.

I haven't been there in about 6 years. At that time, the runway had HUGE swells from over weight AC landing and it was pretty challenging. I think the runway was re-done since ... was it smooth for you? Smooth as in lacking 2 foot humps every 45 yards.

not 'lost'; sorry for the euphemism. Suspected heat stroke and deceased. Very sad.

Back