3rd of 57, 1N1

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Sandia Airpark Estates East, Edgewood, NM (1N1)

Wow! What a tiny airport! Its the narrowest public use airport in New Mexio at 30 feet wide. When on final, that 30 feet is quite intimidating, thats for sure. The runway is fairly well maintained, although it is definitely overdue for repaving, with patched cracks making for a pretty rough rollout.

After landing, the only available taxiways to return for takeoff go through the neighborhood, and there is not a whole lot of clearance while taxiing to avoid mailboxes and fences on either side of the plane. Quite a few times I had to s-turn on the taxiway (or would it be called a road at that point?) to avoid a mailbox.

Fuel is available, but there was no price posted.

This is a very pretty area in New Mexico - nestled deep in the east side of the Sandia Mountains. There was not a whole lot of traffic in the area, and the airpark seemed very quiet when I was there.

Spotting the runway from the air is a bit difficult due to the markings wearing out and a gravel road that extends from the approach end of 27 makes the runway just look like part of the road. The obvious telltale sign of the airport is hangars and of course, the runway numbers.

There are quite a few lots for sale here, and I may actually look into living there some day, as it is absolutely gorgeous.

SANDIA AIRPARK QUICK FACTS
Airport Elevation: 6550ft
Runways 9/27: 5280'x30' Asphalt Surface
CTAF: 122.8
Nick's NOTAMS: Beware of close mailboxes on the taxiways/roads! Pavement is a bit rougher than I'm used to.

NickDBrennan said:
Quite a few times I had to s-turn on the taxiway (or would it be called a road at that point?) to avoid a mailbox.

Nick's NOTAMS: Beware of close mailboxes on the taxiways/roads! Pavement is a bit rougher than I'm used to.

Now THAT is cool, thanks for the writeup, Nick!!! Cool beans.

NickDBrennan said:
Sandia Airpark Estates East, Edgewood, NM (1N1)

Fuel is available, but there was no price posted.

I noticed this in a couple of your posts on the airparks. You may want to look into the fuel situation more closely at the airparks if you want to make this expidition into an information sharing thing. I know at an airpark here in MI there is fuel, but only to people with an account. How to get an account? Live there. Which equals no fuel for tranisent aircraft so don't plan on it as a fuel stop.

Missa

NickDBrennan said:

Nice..personalized NOTAMS! Another great idea that gets the word out where it might not get out otherwise!

Thanks for the updates on your experiences. It's fun to follow along. :cheerswine:

Nick Don't you own a camera? We want to see photos of them all! C'mon get with the program.

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
Nick Don't you own a camera. We want to see photos of them all! C'mon get with the program.
Adam beat me to it. C'mon, Nick, get with it! Yeah, it was a great write-up.

The other thing I wanted to say was you need to record this, Nick. When there are little Nicks or Nickettes running around you want to be able to share with them what their pop did back in '05-'06.

For narrow rwys it is helpful to know the width before you go so when on short final you don't get spooked. That forehand knowledge helps a bunch, it's a calming effect.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Camera stuff and taking pictures!!

Yeah - I actually have pictures waiting on development right now for both this airport and Los Lunas. I didn't get a picture of the mailboxes tho (too busy trying not to hit them).

I'll post them when I get them developed. Perhaps I should stop posting the stories until I have all the info available for the write up :redface:

NickDBrennan said:
Perhaps I should stop posting the stories until I have all the info available for the write up :redface:
No, don't do that although be prepared to remind those of us with short attention spans when you post the follow up post with the pics.

Back