3rd class with prior OCD

ALD53105

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
Hello all,

I’m new to the forum and have been browsing for a while and haven’t seen what I believe fits my unique situation. Many years ago, when I was just a child, I was diagnosed with OCD and was on SSRI’s for many years. Fast forward to where I’m at now (33) and I don’t need SSRI’s anymore. I also have also never applied for a med certificate before. So, my questing being, when I go for my 1st class 3, I am not on any current medications and haven’t seen a psychologist/psychiatrist in many years, but I will of course answer the question about previous mental disorders as yes. What kind of challenges do I face not being on medication or needing therapy but just having this on my history? Thank you.

Doc Bruce knows the answer to this. Basically you will probably be tasked with proving you never really had it.
I’m not denying I have it, I still have some symptoms, but I don’t require medication or any form of therapy. It’s now just non-invasive part of my life that’s been under control for almost 10 years.

For some activities, such as checking gear down, a smidgeon of OCD is useful

yes, unless it distracts you from something else, like say airspeed.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/faa-medical-and-ocd.122208
They don't like OCD. (Full OCD). OCD is not on the SSRI certification list. It is "Try and convince us".

And if you have any severity excluders in your past anywhere- dual meds to control;, suicidality, hospitalization, cognitive instability.....one can't use that pathway.

it seems it isn’t impossible, but it takes a very long time, in the included thread, 2.5 years for a revenue airman. If the intent is simply to fly, you might consider sport pilot.

yes, unless it distracts you from something else, like say airspeed.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/faa-medical-and-ocd.122208

it seems it isn’t impossible, but it takes a very long time, in the included thread, 2.5 years for a revenue airman. If the intent is simply to fly, you might consider sport pilot.

Thank you for the reply. My question is I don’t believe I will be using the SSRI pathway considering I’m no longer on the SSRI and will not be perusing approval to use one. So, the way I see it, the top line of decision path one says airman discontinues use, after 60 days, apply for regular issuance. Or am I missing something? Thank you.

Without the medicine, is there still an underlying condition? The treatment isn’t the issue, it’s why there is a treatment. So, you can be off medicine for a time - and I believe it’s 90 days - but if the condition being treated for is still there or gets worse, is that a certifiable situation? And with that condition affecting you, would you be able to recognize it? Frequently the answer is no.

Health first. Also, you really need to get a consult with an AME, probably a HIMS AME. We’re just SPOTI - some pilots on the internet.

In order for an obsession or compulsion to be a disorder (as far as the FAA is concerned), it has to not be grounded in reality. Checking for three green 30 times on approach, while possibly excessive, isn't so ungrounded. I know the post was meant as a semi-joke, but it's best not to confuse the issue.

The problem is that if you have anything that claims you have an OCD diagnosis, the FAA is certainly going to assume you do unless you have a substantial amount of subsequent testing and evaluation to show you do not.

Wrong. Checking is a huge issue with OCD. Someone with severe symptoms could check the gear to the exclusion of everything else on the checklist.

OP, I have a third class medical and a history of OCD. I was never on an SSRI (responded well to ERP alone), but it's not a complete dealbreaker. I do suggest you consult with an AME and discuss your situation prior to applying though since once you apply, there's no backing out. I had no interest in sport pilot and therefore nothing to lose, but you may feel differently.

I’m not denying I have it, I still have some symptoms, but I don’t require medication or any form of therapy. It’s now just non-invasive part of my life that’s been under control for almost 10 years.

Being symptomatic will cause issues with the FAA (symptomatic being both obsessions & compulsions - obsessions on their own are obviously less of an issue since "normal" people have them). For what it's worth, I still see my therapist so I can show sustained improvement to the FAA.

And you are correct, you do not have to prove you never had it. It's not like ADHD.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back