3rd class with dual SI

• Thread starter Sleepy and depressed
  • Start date
S

Sleepy and depressed

Over the years I have been becoming more interested in getting my private pilot cert.
I haven't started training yet, but I was about to work on my FAA written when I realized that I couldn't solo without a class 3. Then the can of worms came out regarding special issuance requirements and how long that will take. So, the new plan is to try for my class 3 before I do much of anything, because there is no need to go any further (for me) without that class 3.

I've been on zoloft for years, on a stable dose. I have no history of dual SSRI use for depression. No other factors in the SSRI special issuance "rule outs". This puts me on decision path 2, since it's a long lasting issue with recurrence. It sounds like we're talking 1+ years and maybe $5k.

I also have sleep apnea, which sounds like another SI. I'm on a cpap, and have been for a decade. I have 365 days of previous compliance info on the SD card of the machine. I use it every night, no exceptions.

So for the question... is dual SI a non-certifiable condition? Apnea and depression?

If not, then is my next action to find a local HIMS AME and go in for a consultation only (not a submission) to see what I need to put together before starting the process?

“Dual SI’s” do not block medical certification. I currently hold a class 2 medical and have SI’s for OSA and Diabetes Type 2 (pill).

So I will extrapolate (aka guess) that your conditions won’t be a show stopper as long as you comply with therapy and whatever reporting requirements the FAA puts in your SI letter.

Consulting with the right HIMS AME to educate yourself on the steps to certification sounds like a good plan.

It’s just two sets of requirements/ two lists of stuff to prepare, and to keep current.keep current.
Two is no more an issue than the conditions themselves. :)

my personal record is six SI conditions at once, all made certification in the 90 day window.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back