3rd class SI -> Standard issuance -> 1st class

jjam

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jjam
Currently I am in the process of obtaining my third class SI (HIMS program). I understand that, after 2-3 years of monitoring, there is the possibility of being released from special issuance and being given standard issuance (please correct me if I am wrong). Would applying for a 1st class medical after being released from special issuance (i.e. having standard issuance) require restarting with special issuance all over again?

edit: for reference, I am in the HIMS program for marijuana use a couple of years ago (non-habitual/limited in use) and a childhood anxiety diagnosis. Never had legal/health/economic problems from the marijuana.

Last edited:
This depends on whether or not the FAA judges you to have met the criteria (at ANY time) for drug/alcohol dependence.
If so, at the end of the multiyear authorization period, you will need the HIMS psychiatrist re-eval for the upgrade. "Abuse", not so much.

NB if you are given the assessment, "drug/alcohol dependency, in recovery" some form of monitoring will be erquire for the rest of your flying years. This is a Spring 2020 change to policy which was an "action" ITEM from NTSB.

Thanks for replying. I was most definitely never dependent on the marijuana (was non-habitual), and I never had problems with alcohol (I was under 21 before, and now on the monitoring program I am abstinent). The marijuana was just a brief and dumb mistake I made in college. In all honesty, the first best option would have been to never try smoking in the first place, the second best option would have been waiting the two years before being able to truthfully answer "no" to question 18.n

That being said, how long is the multiyear authorization period for third class special issuance? Does it vary from individual to individual?

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I was most definitely never dependent on the marijuana (was non-habitual), and I never had problems with alcohol (I was under 21 before, and now on the monitoring program I am abstinent).
You don't understand dependency criteria from part 67. You can be abstinent for 10 years and still be abstinent. It has to do with tolerance and if any time you had a lifestyle centered on the use of" etc. It's not about the "last two years".

If you are really in the HIMS program for marijuana, you were diagnosed with either abuse or dependency, it's in your letter from the FAA. That's different from "in the HIMS process".

The marijuana was just a brief and dumb mistake I made in college. In all honesty, the first best option would have been to never try smoking in the first place, the second best option would have been waiting the two years before being able to truthfully answer "no" to question 18.n

That being said, how long is the multiyear authorization period for third class special issuance? Does it vary from individual to individual?
For Abuse it's been 2 years. But I have seen them get much longer- I got on recently that requried 5 years for urine proven abstinence.

If you are really in the HIMS program for marijuana, you were diagnosed with either abuse or dependency, it's in your letter from the FAA. That's different from "in the HIMS process".

thanks for clarifying this difference between "dependency" and "abuse". they specified in the denial letter it was for substance abuse. I am not worried about clearing this up in the Substance Abuse Eval with the HIMS psych - I was never in a physically hazardous situation nor had I failed a drug test ("abuse")

I cannot find much info on what happens after the authorization period ends. can this special issuance ever turn into an unrestricted medical?

thanks again for taking the time, i appreciate it

Last edited:
thanks for clarifying this difference between "dependency" and "abuse". they specified in the denial letter it was for substance abuse. I am not worried about clearing this up in the Substance Abuse Eval with the HIMS psych - I was never in a physically hazardous situation nor had I failed a drug test ("abuse")

I cannot find much info on what happens after the authorization period ends. can this special issuance ever turn into an unrestricted medical?

thanks again for taking the time, i appreciate it
"Tthis authorization is valid until....." on the first page, is the date that they are considering letting you go on your own recognizance....

But again, to have this SI, you HAVE a HIMS AME. So you should be talking to that guy! :)

"Tthis authorization is valid until....." on the first page, is the date that they are considering letting you go on your own recognizance....

But again, to have this SI, you HAVE a HIMS AME. So you should be talking to that guy! :)

thanks, my HIMS AME is really helpful. i try not to bother him too much though, I know he can be busy so I try to do my own research as well

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back