3rd Class question for AMEs- new drugs

A

Abby Normal

Since my last medical, I was prescribed a couple of asthma inhalers for some very minor asthma symptoms which have now resolved. I used an Advair Discus, and then Symbicort. They didn't really help, but the very slight occasional wheeze seemed to go away on its own. I am not taking these medications now.

In the process of trying to figure out my symptoms, the asthma doc ordered an esophogram, just to rule out any reflux issues (I hadn't had any reflux symptoms as far as I knew). As it turns out I have a little bit of reflux (i watched it on the screen). The doc prescribed omeprazole for those symptoms and I have been taking that. That may have been causing what was perceived as my asthma symptoms.

I also have seen a demotologist several times for warts on the bottom of one foot. I have used a topical treatment ( compound with sulfur and salicylic acid).

My third class is coming up. Here are my questions:

1. I will report my doctor visits for the asthma symptoms. Do I need to report the Advair and Symbicort if I am no longer taking them when I apply for the medical?

2. I will report the omeprazole as a new drug because I am taking it now. Does that require any sort of statement from the doctor? I do not want a deferral because I don't have a doctor's note.

3. What about the topical treatments for my foot. I can't imagine that this would be a problem, but just checking before i fill out the MedXpress.

4. I cannot locate my file of past medical applications. Two years ago I used MedXpress, but prior to that I kept copies of all the applications, just to make sure I kept everything the same. Is there any way to get a copy of my medical application from last year from the FAA? I will check with my AME tomorrow, but just wanted to see if there is a way to do it from the MedXpress website.

Thanks to all AMEs who respond.

Abby

4. There is no way to for the airman to retrieve past submissions by MedXpress. Whe. You do it this time, "print" the result to a PDF file and save it to the hard drive or flash drive..

4. There is no way to for the airman to retrieve past submissions by MedXpress. Whe. You do it this time, "print" the result to a PDF file and save it to the hard drive or flash drive..

Figured as much. Thankfully I found my file which contains all my old applications, including the MedXpress printout from two years ago.

Thankfully I found my file which contains all my old applications, including the MedXpress printout from two years ago.
Now be sure to put that in an additional easy to access place, such as a thumb drive on your keychain.

report all current conditions & treatment. don't worry about your past medicals too much.

Yep. I found my old medical app. I just wanted to make sure I got the "previously reported, no change" items listed the same as always.

I still am wondering about medications that I may have taken for a short duration, but am no longer taking as of the time of the medical application. Do those need to be reported?

Also, does taking omeprazole require a doctor's note?

Abby

With the history of asthma symptoms I would bring a note form the doc saying, "reflux induced reactive airways, now asymptomatic on omeprazole". Make the AME's life simple.

Help him "terminate" the diagnosis of Asthma at the FAA.

Help him "terminate" the diagnosis of Asthma at the FAA.
Terminate, as in disabuse? I'm curious, Bruce. I was diagnosed over 12 years ago based on a methacholine challenge, even though I have never had an asthma attack (other than one incident of what was clearly beta blocker-induced bronchospasm). They still want a status report on my "asthma" at every 3rd class physical including exacerbations and ER visits even though none have ever occurred. Any way to "terminate" this diagnosis with them?

Terminate, as in disabuse? I'm curious, Bruce. I was diagnosed over 12 years ago based on a methacholine challenge, even though I have never had an asthma attack (other than one incident of what was clearly beta blocker-induced bronchospasm). They still want a status report on my "asthma" at every 3rd class physical including exacerbations and ER visits even though none have ever occurred. Any way to "terminate" this diagnosis with them?
Yes. Get a letter from your doc saying that you no longer have that diagnosis, are not followed for it any longer and send it in! Its really pretty simple.....
Think about it. Every CACI statement said "Prof. L's Asthma has not required any attention, Rx or created any limitation...." The presumption is that you have Asthma.

So, if you haven't had anything for 10 years, you don't have asthma. Don't get that same letter this next round. Get the letter that says, "hey, nothing doing here!".

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back