3rd class medical?

John Riggans

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John Riggans
Hi Doc., Iwas wondering if I could gt a sport pilot license by passing a 3rd class medical exam because Ilost my drivers license of a result of a accident without insurance a long time ago I made arrangments to make payments on damages but after losing my job I could no longer afford the payments and they took my drivers license. As time went on the other driver and his atty. passed away and my atty. has been unsuccesfull at getting it resolved because of lost paperwork. If it is possible for me to get a sport license dose the Dr. that dose the exam issue the student sport license or do you have to do something else to get it?thank oyu , John Riggans

I'll give you points for asking the question... but have the nomex undies ready

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 209
Yes, you can use a 3rd class medical rather than a license.
The sport certificate requires either a 3rd class medical or valid drivers license.

Hi Doc., Iwas wondering if I could gt a sport pilot license by passing a 3rd class medical exam because Ilost my drivers license of a result of a accident without insurance a long time ago I made arrangments to make payments on damages but after losing my job I could no longer afford the payments and they took my drivers license. As time went on the other driver and his atty. passed away and my atty. has been unsuccesfull at getting it resolved because of lost paperwork. If it is possible for me to get a sport license dose the Dr. that dose the exam issue the student sport license or do you have to do something else to get it?thank oyu , John Riggans

Just curious - in what state do you live / did this happen ?

Yes, you can use a 3rd class medical rather than a license.
The sport certificate requires either a 3rd class medical or valid drivers license.

True, but I suspect that the revocation would also complicate getting the medical. But I'm not an expert, so don't pay any attention to me.

-Rich

The Dr. issues a medical certificate that is also used as a student pilot certificate that you could use to fly solo (does not need to be an LSA if you have the medical). The actual pilot certificate (sport or private) would be issued by the FAA after you have completed all of the requirements for the certificate.

True, but I suspect that the revocation would also complicate getting the medical.
It will have to be reported on his medical application by a "yes" in block 18v and an explanation below because it is an "administrative action involving an offense [failure to have required insurance] which resulted in the denial, cancellation, suspension, or revocation of driving privileges" -- regardless of whether or not alcohol was involved. How that will affect things, I leave to Bruce, but as long as no alcohol or drugs were involved in the accident, I'm guessing it's not a show-stopper.

You absolutely can have a medical/student pilot cert. w/o a DL, but you will have to report the circumstances of the DL loss (18v). That will be tough. You can still get the paperwork by writing the clerk of the court in the jursidiction where the damamges agreement was entered.

However, it will be MUCH easier if you seek out the paperwork, repair the damages (may even be to the heirs), obtain the DL. Most will need an attoney to unravel this. If you have the funds to fly, you certainly have the funds to do this properly.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back