3rd Class Medical questions before starting training

• Thread starter QuestionAboutMedical
  • Start date
Q

QuestionAboutMedical

After almost 30 years of wanting to fly, I'm finally in a position to do it and my wife has signed off on it! I should be beyond ecstatic, but I can't be yet.

Before I can, I want to get the medical out of the way because I have some conditions I am concerned about. I tried calling some local AME's and they were pretty unhelpful in terms of consultations. One told me I need to go read the CACI on the FAA site and that's what I'll need to know and that one of my meds is not one the approved list and nothing beyond that.

The first thing I have is asthma. Diagnosed in 2012. Well controlled with Symbicort and Singulair and occasional albuteral usage (probably once a month, if that...though maybe once a year I might have a couple days long issue...but the last time that happened was 2 years ago and I'm smart enough to make a go/no-go decision). I went to the ER only once while they were trying to get under control and the military didn't want to listen and made me do a PT test.

The second big thing is migraines. It used to be far worse and I think it was tied to the asthma. Now, I get one maybe once a month. I can always tell hours before it comes that it's coming. I think it's only been debilitating a handful of times and that was a while ago. And again, plenty of warning. For that, I was prescribed Fioricet. I see mixed things on Fioricet but it apparently is not a controlled substance. Furthermore, I have had 0 side effects, including no feeling of drowsiness. I do know that if I felt a migraine coming, I wouldn't fly and if I took the meds, I wouldn't fly for at least that day (or longer if the FAA said).

I also was diagnosed with anxiety and did take Lexapro. I haven't taken it the last few months because I'm not a big fan of taking depression medication. I haven't had any issues (again, sure this is tied with the asthma. Nowadays, I'm back working in aviation maintenance and have to sometimes go up about 30 feet in the air. I really don't like heights and yet, I have no issues. It's always there and I'm aware of it but I've learned how to really manage it well.

These are the issues that I'm concerned with. I understand I may have to even go to a special issuance. I'm just wondering...what are the chances the FAA will sign off on it. I know nobody can tell me 100%, but I'm sure someone out there may have at least an idea based on historical data. Thank you.

Download the FAA AME Manual and look all your issues up. That will give you some education. Check your meds at AOPA or the FAA. Then pay Dr. Bruce as necessary. Your identified issues do sound like FAA issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back