3rd class medical question

Robert Young

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Just Bob
I am looking at having my Aortic valve replaced. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the possibilities of getting medical reinstated after recovery? I m thinking I will never get back into the left seat but wondering if it s possible

This one is straight-forward

6 Months has to go by.
If you had a pre-procedure cath, we need to have that report.
Admission note for surgery
Op note
Pathology note
Discharge summary.

At the end of >180 days:
Stress treadmill- since it's post valve do at least a stress TM echo or a Stress TM nuclear; there are 7% false positives
Static Echo (seated) to assess valve
EKG
Holter monitor

If you recieved a metal valve you are on Coumadin and the hardest part is 80% of the immeidately prior regualry spaced INRs have to be between 2.5 and 3.5

I went through this 11 years ago, and have enjoyed 2nd class privileges every year since then. Dr. Bruce's description is exactly what I needed to get renewed. Make sure you get all the paperwork and required info, and make sure they do the whole "GXT protocol" for the treadmill test, 9 minutes if I recall. The techs cut mine short, and I needed a retake and re-sent info to FAA, delaying my re-qual for months, all for the lack of a minute and a half on the treadmill. I have yearly Special Issue requirements, a simple EKG, regular echocardiogram, and good physician's report, stuff you probably want to do anyway. Feel free to PM me if you have any general questions (not a medical pro).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back