3rd class medical process

A

Anon

I’ve recently started flight lessons and I’m loving every minute. Wasn’t sure if I’d be nervous or how that first flight would go. Surprisingly I’m very calm and just thrilled with being in the air. I trust the plane and my CFI. I don’t like standing on a roof but 3000ft is just fine.‍♂️
I looked into getting my 3rd class medical certificate and discovered I may be in for a ride with the FAA and following whatever steps they say I must take.
A little history. In 2011 my home was destroyed in a flood. My wife, 9 month old daughter and I had to move in with my parents. The process of dealing with flood insurance (I don’t suggest it) was a mess. We ended up getting shorted quite a bit for the rebuild and the house stayed partially repaired. During that time I noticed that every time it would rain of any significance I would have anxiety. I couldn’t help but think about the house being flooded and dealing with it all over again. After experiencing this a few times I went to my PCP who prescribed Valium 5mg PRN. Over time my dads health declined (I donated him a kidney in 2009) and my parents convinced us we should stay with them to help out. We kept our other property along with paying the bills at my parents property and eventually took out a mortgage with the thinking we would eventually sell my parents home and move back since it was a unique property. This past year we decided we are never going to make it work moving back to our old house. Just won’t work while taking care of my mom, my dad passed away in 2018. In November I was having right hip and coccyx pain. I went to my PCP who suggested that the muscle pain was stress related and prescribed Zoloft (in hindsight I feel like I should have toughed it out until after going to a chiropractor for a few sessions). I thought the Zoloft helped somewhat but ultimately going to a chiropractor has relieved my pain. In February we got an offer on our old house and we settled in March. Since that time I haven’t taken any medication or renewed any prescriptions. My stress seems to be relieved. I actually enjoy the rain now, especially thunderstorms. Life is good. Finances are great (right time to sell a property), which lead me to start flying. Flying was previously not financially in the cards.
I have a follow up with my PCP this week. I’m concerned that this history (my diagnoses since looking them up are “Post Traumatic Stress Anxiety” and “Anxious Depression”) will prevent me from obtaining my 3rd class medical. Dr. Bruce suggested seeing a psychiatrist. He is the expert, so Friday I will ask my PCP for a referral. I expect I will be referred to a HIMS AME after I am assessed by the AME for my medical. I won’t apply until after seeing a psychiatrist and having a prescription history showing no recent medication. I want to have everything possible in place when applying so I can have the best outcome. I hope things will work out but with everything I read I am still unsure. Sport pilot would be okay but I’d love to travel with my family of 4 and a two seater just won’t cut it. I’m not too worried about costs related to evaluations, etc. I just don’t want to be declined and then end up not being eligible for sport pilot either. Has anyone gone through a similar process? After seeing a psychiatrist I hope I’ll have a better idea of how things will go. I’m a Registered Nurse and trusted with peoples lives on a regular basis. Shocked but not shocked (since it’s the government) that my dreams of aviation may get shot down for taking care of my mental health. Is there anything else I should prepare before seeing the first AME? Is there anything that I should request from my PCP as far as documentation? Besides what I’ve written here, is there anything else that I need to tell the psychiatrist when I see him/her? I expect they won’t have any clue what the FAA will want to see.

Sorry for the long post. It helps to write all this out completely and get others opinions.

I recommend staying in touch with Dr. Bruce and joining AOPA. AOPA has significant resources (advice) to help with collecting all the ridiculous paperwork the FAA requires. Dr. Bruce can also help with that. You may want to travel to Peoria to Dr. Bruce when you get ready to try the Class 3.

Good luck!

Yes, joined the AOPA and spoke with them once so far. Will upgrade my membership when I’m at a point of applying and have them review everything. Will absolutely make a trip to see Dr Bruce if that’s what it takes. Hmm…what kinda vacation can I make out of that? I have off Monday through Friday so making a trip is totally doable. I will follow his advice to the letter. I’m 42 and just want to be able to fly for fun/travel. Have lots of time to spend on the air.

I’ve been through a similar experience and got issued, didn’t even need a HIMS psychiatrist. They asked for more info from doctors and a personal statement from me, it was pretty straightforward. But each case is different. It all depends on the details. It depends on the exact diagnosis, how long you were on the meds and whatever else is in your history. You’ve already talked to Dr. Bruce? That’s a good start, do exactly as he says. I don’t know what to tell you about what to tell the psychiatrist other than the truth. Maybe the docs here have better advice about that.

They gave me antidepressants for pain too, don’t get me started.

I highly recommend whenever you see the AME schedule a consult first, not the exam. Do Not let them go live with the form. You want to know you’ll almost certainly get certified before you open that door.

Yes, was advised to do a consult and not give out the confirmation number until ready to submit everything to the FAA.

...I’ve been in metro CHI (Bolingbrook) since 2017.....it’s easier on everyone....

I have to tell you that AOPA is a complete waste of time and money, ESPECIALLY for medical issues. The information they gave me was worse the useless, and one of the reasons I ended up grounded for twelve weeks.

I have to tell you that AOPA is a complete waste of time and money, ESPECIALLY for medical issues. The information they gave me was worse the useless, and one of the reasons I ended up grounded for twelve weeks.

I used AOPA’s medical service with my issue and they got me through great. Of course that was many years ago, might be different now. This was before I knew Dr. Bruce. If I were to do it today I’d just stick with him.

AOPA might be fine for the simpler stuff but anything involving psychoactive meds is not simple. Problem is, many pilot wannabes don’t know that going in.

If Bruce has room to take you on, pay his retainer. His fees are not onerous and his expertise is TOP NOTCH. Best of all Bruce won't submit unless he knows the package will be a winner. JMHO as a customer and friend.

If Bruce has room to take you on, pay his retainer. His fees are not onerous and his expertise is TOP NOTCH. Best of all Bruce won't submit unless he knows the package will be a winner. JMHO as a customer and friend.

This is the key difference. Vital if you want keep Sport Pilot option.

I know I’m beating a dead horse at this point but you can’t emphasize it enough for all the future newbies who might scan these threads.

This is the key difference. Vital if you want keep Sport Pilot option.

I know I’m beating a dead horse at this point but you can’t emphasize it enough for all the future newbies who might scan these threads.

For sure. The main reason I’m so concerned at this point. I don’t want to screw up any chance of flying. Sport pilot will do if my history holds me back. Might have to do lsa flying for a couple years to prove I’m healthy or maybe it’s lsa for life.

For sure. The main reason I’m so concerned at this point. I don’t want to screw up any chance of flying. Sport pilot will do if my history holds me back. Might have to do lsa flying for a couple years to prove I’m healthy or maybe it’s lsa for life.

Unfortunately I don’t think the FAA cares one flip how well you fly, for the purpose of medical certification, except for obvious physical demonstrations like prosthetics, monocular vision, that sort of thing. Good luck!

Thinking more along the lines of proof of no recurrence from my doctor and psychiatrist that I’m going to see. Lots of options with LSA though I guess.

Thinking more along the lines of proof of no recurrence from my doctor and psychiatrist that I’m going to see. Lots of options with LSA though I guess.

Ah, gotcha.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back