3rd class medical limitation.

U

Unregistered

Ok, so I take all the tests but one thing is off, my blood pressure was 144/80. No history of hypertension or anything like that but I was excited for the medical. I'm 16, I wait in the room after the tests and then was told here you go and goodbye. I got the 3rd class medical (what a relief) but after I go to the waiting room my mom has a concerning look and tells me she was talking to the doctor about the blood pressure and slight fever 98-99F. I felt fine. Either way, now I notice that in the area for limitations it reads "Valid for 6 months following the month examined"

What is that about? The doctor never told me anything but spoke to my mom and all she tells me is that I need to work out more.

I'm 16

69 hight

Weigh 188

Health first fly later.

I'll leave it to your doctors and mom to provide the best counsel

You were excited about the medical and flying. Next time, ask that they take the blood pressure at the end of the exam, you'll be more relaxed. It's called the White Coat Syndrome.

You sure they didn't issue you a first class? Those are only valid for six months.

You're about my height but almost 40 lb heavier, and unless you're built like Mr. Universe or a football running back, your doctor gave you some good advice. Get yourself in a lot better shape and you'll say goodbye to a lot of that weight and your blood pressure will come down nicely. Believe this 63-year-old man when I tell you it ain't gonna get any better as you get older if you don't start working on it now. Get that doctor to recommend a plan of diet and exercise to slim you down and shape you up so when you go back in six months, you don't see that limitation on your next medical certificate.

And I'll leave the lecture about hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, arteriosclerosis, diabetes, and the rest for your health provider to give you, but if you don't fix this now, you're going to hear those words a lot more as you get older -- and you really don't want that.

You sure they didn't issue you a first class? Those are only valid for six months.
A First Class is only valid for First Class purposes for six months, but it remains valid for lower classes for much longer (depending on age and class), and there's no limitation like that on them unless there's a medical issue as the OP has (hypertension), in which case the limitation is class-independent and supersedes any longer effective period in 14 CFR 61.23.

I thought the FAA's line for hypertension was at 155/95. While 144/80 is considered prehypertensive, I would not have thought it would result in a limitation on one's medical.

I think the question is why does he have a 6 month term - not so much about his HT.

If he is 16 he should have medical that is valid for 5 years - and student pilot cert for two, right?

I thought the FAA's line for hypertension was at 155/95. While 144/80 is considered prehypertensive, I would not have thought it would result in a limitation on one's medical.
I think the question is why does he have a 6 month term - not so much about his HT.
That's a question one would have to ask a knowledgeable AME like Bruce Chien, but he doesn't visit here any more. Try http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com or visit the AOPA Forums to find him. Also, there may be more to the OP's situation than we know, and I will neither ask nor speculate about that.

If he is 16 he should have medical that is valid for 5 years - and student pilot cert for two, right?
Not any more -- the FAA fixed that disparity five years ago.
Sec. 61.19

Duration of pilot and instructor certificates.
[(b) Student pilot certificate.

(1) For student pilots who have not reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.
(2) For student pilots who have reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 24 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate. (3) For student pilots seeking a glider rating, balloon rating, or a sport pilot certificate, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date issued, regardless of the person's age.]
Amdt. 61-124A, Eff. 10/20/2009

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back